Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)

RTI Act perfect tool for justice to needy

As reported in deccan.com on 04 June 2008:
    Deccan Chronicle on the web

RTI Act perfect tool for justice to needy

Hyderabad, June 3: The Right to Information Act has helped common petitioners nail several erring officials and government departments in courts in recent months. Earlier, it was difficult for petitioners to get relevant data to prove their case, but the RTI Act has put a perfect weapon in their hands. The High Court has pulled up several officials after the documents submitted by complainants proved their wrongdoing beyond doubt.

In a recent case, a petitioner successfully proved before the court that officials of the panchayat raj department failed to conduct a joint inspection to assess groundwater levels in his village in Krishna district. Though the officials claimed that the joint inspection was already over, the petitioner submitted a letter issued by the groundwater department saying no inspection had been carried out.

Similarly, in another case, records obtained through RTI Act were used to prove that revenue officials provided false information to the court. The judge warned that contempt proceedings would be initiated against the officials if they dared to do so again. Incidentally, the errant behaviour of officials has prompted judges themselves to ask petitioners to obtain the information through the RTI Act. In some cases the court even directed departments concerned to provide information to the petitioner.

› Find content similar to: RTI Act perfect tool for justice to needy

Name:
    rajiv
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: RTI Act perfect tool for justice to needy

I got information pertaining to a departmental examination.Previously the officials referring me had said this fellow had failed in the said examination and so just to get the training of the selected ones stopped he has filed a case.When i presented my documents in the court,The honourable judges' first comment was that "the petioner is fighting his own case with all merits" .He pulled of the officials for filing the false afidivits.
    AM just waiting for the judgement day.

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook youtube Tumblr RTI Microblog RSS Feed Apple App Store Google Play for Android