Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: IT Refund through RTI ?

1. Re: IT Refund through RTI ?

I think FAA has treated your appeal as complaint and not first appeal under RTI Act.

It takes each of us to make difference for all of us.

Re: IT Refund through RTI ?

Guys, I have an update on this. Soon after the FAA was sent, things started moving. I was contacted by the Assessment officer over phone who insisted me to send an Indemnity bond stating that i have never claimed this refund so far which is their usual procedure for such scenarios. He assured once he gets the indemnity bond he will issue the refund cheque but the interest would be from the date the refiling was done(i.e. 2005), not from the date the initial filing was done(i.e. 2001) since i lost the first SARAL and its not possible for them to trace the same to find out when was the first one file. While i am extremely happy to see the progress, i dont know how and why they cant give the interest from the original filing since i am anyway giving them an indemnity bond which states i never claimed it so far. They have to treat it as if they have never issued the refund and have to process the case as fresh, is n't it ?
    Also, does anyone know what is their usual rate of Interest for delayed refunds ?

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

That was a fast response and that too by phone !
    Never knew that Assessing Officers contacted assesees by phone.

The indemnity bond procedure is correct and the interest payment from 2005 also looks correct since the IT Department would have treated it as "refiling" of returns. That is the date they are treating as date of filing of return, since neither you or the department can prove or confirm otherwise.

I think the interest rate is 1% per month, but not sure.

Hi,

I haven't got the return for the past 2 years.
    In one of the blogs titled - How to File RTI application for delay in Income Tax Refund, it is mentioned that "If you do not get refund as above submit by regd. ad post letter as per annexure A. with its enclosures." and "If no refund or reply is received within 30 days, file RTI application as per annexure B.".
    What i need to know is - is the first step required before filing an RTI application, or can I directly file the RTI application without filing an application before that?

Sending the RTI letter itself is an application asking for the status of your refund. You send that RTI letter in a plain paper with the questions that you want to ask, and send that as a reg ackn post, keep the copy of the letter, and ackn (once recd from them ) safely as you would need it when u file the first appeal. Please refer the RTI rules as to how you should send such letter to IT dept.

Quote Originally Posted by nupur_gupta View Post
    Hi,
    What i need to know is - is the first step required before filing an RTI application, or can I directly file the RTI application without filing an application before that?
    Reply to a similar query has already been provided. Anyway there is no need to file another application just go ahead with filing an appliaction under the RTI Act seeking details of your delayed refund.

7. Re: IT Refund through RTI ?

If U have already followed-up with non-rti letters, you can now file RTI appln as per annesture B and giving reference of your earlier follow-up letters to IT Dept.
    It takes each of us to make difference for all of us.

It would not make any difference even when you quote your earlier letters in your RTI appln as the RTI itself has the power of giving pressure to them to respond irrespective of how many ordinary letters you had sent earlier to that. So, if you think its time to ask for the status of your refund, you can send the RTI rather than the ordinary letters as they dont have the habit of responding to such letters as per my experience.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast