Thread: is it necessary to go through the RTI route even to get routine information?

Name:
    brij khandelwal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

is it necessary to go through the RTI route even to get routine information?

have government servants been told not to reply to routine questions without payment?
    is it necessary to go through the RTI route even to get routine information?

brij

Name:
    Abhishek Goyal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Re: is it necessary to go through the RTI route even to get routine information?

EVEN MORE

usually the PIOs in the passport office reply to the RTI applications only after a first appeal is filed. (i personally have experienced this thing a no. of times)

Name:
    J.P. SHAH
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

Re: is it necessary to go through the RTI route even to get routine information?

Routine info should b available without recourse to RTI. RTI comes into picture when persistant follow-up [practically begging or buying] does not work. It is advisable to file non-rti application for info required. If it does not work in say a month, RTI push should be resorted to by giving reference to non-rti applications.
    It takes each of us to make difference for all of us.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by brijkhandelwal View Post
    have government servants been told not to reply to routine questions without payment?

brij
    How can one answer a question of this nature ? Who are govt servants? You,me,our neighbours,relatives,countrymen ,you name it ,they are all there. Please spare some reasonable thoughts for some of these people who are as dedicated,honest and helpful as anyone else exhibited around.There have been many bad experiences around while interacting with govt officials ,but these people are very much part and parcel of "we the people",and reflect our culture,temptations,civility and psyche.So no use generalising your comments and painting everyone with the same brush.
    RTI is the best gift that people have received since independence,use it judiciously ,intelligently,and for the benefit of "people". Self serving Individual needs should be exceptions ,to avoid CIC/SIC becoming like district courts with glorious 25 years backlog,may be more. Some of us must think 10/20 years hence , and fate of RTI 2nd appeals !!!!
    Last edited by opsharma; 24-06-08 at 09:22 AM.

Name:
    brij khandelwal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

we are only talking of the corrupt people. those who are honest and sincere are out of this discussion. if government servants are good and decent its only fair, for that is what they are getting paid for. they are not doing any favour to us. from my experience i can say the only honest people in the government sector are those who are not getting a chance to be corrupt. certain departments like the transport, police, irrigation, tax collecting offices, the power supply departments and unfortunately now even some departments of the armed forces as reflected in defence deals scams, are corrupt to the core. no point in defending government departments. your arguments sound so stale and hackneyed. perhaps you must have been a government servant. sorry for you. you have to go by the public perception in a democratic system. even sri ram chandra ji exemplified restpect to public opinion.
    best wishes
    brij

Name:
    shrigopal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I have to file RTI applications because there is virtually no communication between me and my employer.They transferred me abolishing my post I was serving since last 19 years without a single promotion.I had the courage to get stay from court.Since then(last 1 year)
    my every document is put under a scanner.They have issued me charge memo on presumption that instead of getting treatment of my sickenss,I should have joined duties,although I am one of the most regular employees in office with plenty of balance in my leave account yet they suspended me without any reason since April 2007. afterwards,second charge memo was issued to me in which I was alleged of taking photograpah of "important" office documents with mobile phone and to explain that some "complaints"against me were made by staff members.
    They misinformed the RTI commission that I was using RTI to settle personal scores and making inane(senseless) RTI applications.The First appellate authority has disposed my
    8 appeals with one "order" recently.

Name:
    J.P. SHAH
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)

I too was officer of a public authority, but I must agree with Shri Khandelwal. It is question of majority v/s minority. Good people in govt and politics are in minority and number is diminishing day-by-day. Good people do not unite and assert and hence bad ones succeed. Bad people have secret unions!!!. It is for this reason that RTI has been enacted and it received tremendous response from common man of India. If majority of babus and politicians were really [not seemingly] good people, where was the need of RTI?
    It takes each of us to make difference for all of us.

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook RSS Feed Apple App Store Google Play for Android