Topic Identifier

Results 1 to 2 of 2

Thread: commerical secrets

  1. commerical secrets


    Hi all,
    Id like to ask some questions about your experience/knowledge re Commercial Secrets
    If possible, pleasse reply to me offline as well davgoldberg[at]gmail.com>
    Thanx!
    Best wishes,
    David
    =================================================
    1) Where information might include "commercial secrets" does your
    access to information law allow the government to consult with the
    affected party? If so, is this consultation obligatory?
    2) What happens if the third party refuses to authorize access to
    info it supplied to the government?
    3) Does the third party have an absolute veto, or is it subject to
    the harm and public interest tests?
    4) Is there any jurisprudence (or commissioner's decision) which show
    how to balance the competing rights/interests?
    5) Does the ATI law, the jurisprudence, or any other law define
    "commercial secrets" and equivalent concepts? If so, please provide
    examples. If not, what is happening with the interpretation of the
    provision in the ATI law?


    Last edited by Shrawan; 09-03-07 at 04:47 PM. Reason: live email link deleted to prevent spamming.


  2. Dear David,
    Welcome to RTI India. Hope our interaction will give us broader perspective of ATI law across the globe.

    Quote Originally Posted by deegee31 View Post
    1) Where information might include "commercial secrets" does your
    access to information law allow the government to consult with the
    affected party? If so, is this consultation obligatory?
    Under India RTI law any information which concern with the third party has to be consulted. Commercial secrets are one of the grounds of exemption provided under the act. As the laws stands today it is obligatory to dot he consultation. The act is very clear in this

    Before taking any decision under sub-section (1), the Central Public Information Officer or State Public Information Officer, as the case may be, shall take into consideration the representation made by a third party under section 11.

    Quote Originally Posted by deegee31 View Post
    2) What happens if the third party refuses to authorize access to
    info it supplied to the government?
    If the public officer intends to disclose the information or record, or part thereof, he has to invite the third party to make a submission in writing or orally, requesting to inform regarding whether the information should be disclosed? And such submission of the third party shall be kept in view while taking a decision about disclosure of information.
    Quote Originally Posted by deegee31 View Post
    3) Does the third party have an absolute veto, or is it subject to
    the harm and public interest tests?
    No the third party does not have absolute veto as the decision to way public interest lies with the public authority
    Quote Originally Posted by deegee31 View Post
    4) Is there any jurisprudence (or commissioner's decision) which show
    how to balance the competing rights/interests?
    I will check and updte on that

    Quote Originally Posted by deegee31 View Post
    5) Does the ATI law, the jurisprudence, or any other law define
    "commercial secrets" and equivalent concepts? If so, please provide
    examples. If not, what is happening with the interpretation of the
    provision in the ATI law?
    The ATI law does not define commercial secrets they have to treated as equivalent concepts from other IP laws



About RTI INDIA

    RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android