Topic Identifier

Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Amit Jethwa: RTI Activist shot dead in Gujarat

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Amit Jethwa: RTI Activist shot dead in Gujarat

Just got the news that RTI Activist Mr Amit Jethwa was shot dead this evening in Gujarat.
    Will update more later.

Members, there have been too many incidents like this in the recent past.
    Remember, that RTI Act enables citizens only to get "information".
    It does not offer you any protective shield.

You can read more about Amit Jethwa here:

amit jethwa - Google Search

amit jethva - Google Search

Twitter: @cjkarira

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

re: Amit Jethwa: RTI Activist shot dead in Gujarat

As reported by PTI in dnaindia.com on 20 July 2010:
    RTI activist shot dead near Gujarat high court - dnaindia.com

RTI activist shot dead near Gujarat high court

Ahmedabad: A prominent Right to Information (RTI) activist, who had filed a PIL against illegal mining in Gir forest region, was shot dead by two unidentified gunmen opposite Gujarat high court in Ahmedabad today, police said.

Amit Jethwa was shot from a close range by the assailants who fled on a motorcycle after the incident, they said.

Police inspector HM Kundaliya said Jethwa died on the spot after he was shot.

"His body was being sent for postmortem and search for the assailants was on," Kundaliya told PTI.

Jethwa was very active in the conservation of wildlife, especially lions, in the Gir area. He has also helped the police solve some cases relating to lion poaching.

Jethwa had recently filed a public interest litigation (PIL) in the high court against illegal mining in the Gir region of Junagadh district which is considered the last abode of Asiatic lions in the world.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

As reported in timesofindia.indiatimes.com on 21 July 2010:
    https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/articleshow/6193952.cms

Green activist shot dead near High Court

AHMEDABAD: An environmental activist, Amit Jethava, was shot dead outside the Gujarat High Court on Tuesday night. The incident took place at 8.45pm when Jethava, who had come out of the bar council’s office in Satyamev complex — situated opposite the High Court — was getting into his car. According to the Sola police station officials, the assailants had come on a bike and shot him with a crude revolver.

"Two assailants, each armed with a country-made revolver, were waiting next to Jethava’s car," said a police official who is investigating the case. "One of them shot him in the back. Eyewitnesses say Jethava turned back and lunged at the bikers. A scuffle ensued and the duo fled the spot on foot, leaving their motorbike and dropping one of the revolvers. The bike’s number is fake."

Sniffer dogs were put to work and the trail led towards Jethava’s house at Vishwas City in Ghatlodia. On the way, cops found two 12-bore cartridges and a slipper.

Jethava was a former government employee who had been suspended for some irregularities. He turned into a wildlife activist based in Dhari, and established the Gir Nature Club. Eventually, he ventured into other areas of environmental activism and used the Right to Information (RTI) Act to dig out information about wrongdoings committed by industries and officials. Critics have pointed out that he was dubious in his dealings and often used to blackmail certain industries and officers.

Till about 2005, Jethava used to travel from Dhari to Ahmedabad in a bus to meet his lawyers through whom he used to fight several environment-related cases. However, in recent times, he had purchased an office and residential apartment in Ahmedabad and used to travel in his personal vehicle.

According to the police, Jethava, a native of Khamba in Amreli district, had recently locked horns with people indulging in illegal limestone mining in Kodinar.

"Jethava was dead soon after the incident. We have set up checkpoints to look for the suspects and block exits," said HM Kundaliya, an inspector of the Sola police station.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

As reported in expressindia.com on 21 July 2010:
    RTI activist shot dead near HC - Express India

RTI activist shot dead near HC

Ahmedabad Prominent wildlife and RTI activist Amit Jethva was shot dead opposite the Gujarat High Court on Tuesday evening by two motorcycle-borne men while he was coming out after meeting his lawyer. The incident occurred outside the Gujarat Bar Council office.

Jethva had filed several PILs and RTI applications, the latest being in connection with illegal mining in Gir Wildlife Sanctuary.

The incident occurred when Jethva, after meeting his lawyer Vijay Nangesh in his first-floor office at Satyamev Complex, stepped out around 8.45 pm and was getting into his vehicle parked near the complex. According to eye-witnesses, two men on a motorbike parked nearby fired at him from a close range. After being hit, Jethva ran after his assailants but succumbed to his injuries. The two men left the motorcycle and a country-made firearm on the spot and fled towards Vishwa City in the neighbourhood.

Top police officers rushed to the spot and recovered the firearm and two unused cartridges. Police suspect it could be contract killing and are questioning his lawyer.

The 33-year-old activist had filed several RTI applications based on which he would also file PILs. Key amongst them were the one for the appointment of Lokayukta, another for appointment of two more RTI commissioners and a third that questioned the promotion of a forest official.

Hailing from Amreli district’s Khambha village located on the periphery of Gir Wildlife Sanctuary, Jethva, a suspended government teacher, was also the founder of Gir Nature Youth Club. After having run an aggressive campaign on several environment issues, many a time involving celebrities or top politicians, he became a member of State Wild Life Advisory Board.

In 2007 Assembly polls, he contested as an Independent from Kodinar in Junagadh district raising environment and wildlife issues.

Among the many cases Jethva had filed in lower and high courts, one was against Aamir Khan for alleged use of chinkara and later killing it for Lagaan, a film the actor also produced.

Recently, Jethva had filed a PIL in the HC in connection with illegal mining in Gir Wildlife Sanctuary and has made BJP MP from Junagadh Dinu Solanki as one of the respondents.

It was only two years ago that the activist shifted base to Ahmedabad. He is survived by his wife and two children.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

As reported by Japan K Pathak in deshgujurat.com on 20 July 2010:
    Gujarat | DeshGujarat.Com

Amit Jethwa was a force, rare in this time, his murder is shocking

Point blank murder of activist Amit Jethwa is shocking news, and I am personally shocked. Jethwa’s murder has shocked me to the level same as Haren Pandya’s or Pankaj Trivedi’s murder.

Jethwa was amazing force by himself. I met him first time in year 2005 when he called me for an exclusive and interesting elephant story. An elephant with badly injured foot was treated cruelly in local circus and therefore rescued by forest department thanks to efforts employed by Amit Jethwa. Jethwa continued to be with the elephant till its proper relocation. After the story published well in newspaper, Jethwa became my regular source. A young tall well built Amit Jethwa was one single source for many journalists like me wanting to know anything and everything about Gir forest. Jethwa was one stop resource for any information regarding Gir forest and forest department’s handling of affairs there. He had amazing grip over South western Saurashtra areas, especially ecological and environment related issues. He would SMS and inform all friend journalists when incident of wood cutting, illegal mining, suspicious death of lion, leopard, forest fire etc occur. We journalists use to have our own mechanism to rigorously check whether our source is genuine or a blackmailer misusing us. Amit too passed through this process, but every time I could sum up that his fight against anti-environment people, corrupt establishment etc was genuine. He once said me that he was a natural fighter and that was the activity he was liking and therefore doing. He said he had drug shop in Una, and that was the mode of his survival. While his employees could look after the drug store, he could spare time to do activism.

RTI(Right to information), PIL(Public interest litigation), SMS(Short messaging service), Email were Jethwa’s tools. He had organized a nature lovers yatra in southern Saurashtra belt. Be it about saving marine turtles, or Chinkara, lion, leopard, tree, birds or crocodile, Jethwa was there at service in Kutch, Saurashtra and Ahmedabad. The elephant case I referred above originated from Bharuch in central Gujarat. Jethwa had filed cases against Salman Khan and Aamir Khan for alleged Chinkara killings. A case against Aamir Khan is still going on in Gujarat High Court, and every development in this regard was informed to us through SMS.

Amit Jethwa fought an election also on his own, but lost. Jethwa shifted his base to Ahmedabad only some months back. He called me up and invited to have tea at his new home in Ahmedabad. I sought his guidance about how to use RTI as tool in my profession – journalism. Since then, I was not in touch with him,barring just incoming smses and sometime email.

Just yesterday evening, I received Amit Jethwa’s SMS in my mobile phone: “Gir Nature Youth Club ni rajuat bad 1 mahina pahela Junagadh Jilla na Kodinar taluka ma Gir border area na Alidar-Sanvav road par Geology ane police joint raid ma belastone kava ni machinery sahit no mudamal 6odavi janara par FIR. Geologist Mr. Muley(Phone number) Kodinar Police(Phone number)”

Translation of the SMS: After Gir Nature Youth Club’s representation, FIR has filed against those who snatched away belastone cutting machinery and other seized material that was captured during police and geology department’s joint raid one month back on Alidar-Sanvav road of Gir border area in Junagadh district’s Kodinar tauka. Geologist Mr. Muley(Phone number) Kodinar Police(Phone number).

Reading this SMS, I thought for a moment that Jethwa had gone too far and powerful mining lobby literally ‘uncontrollable’ in Saurashtra, will not tolerate any disturbance in their work. And today evening I heard, he has been killed by two unidentified persons on bike near Gujarat High Court. Jethwa was on visit to Satyamev building to meet advocate. When he came out, there were two persons waiting for him with Bajaj Discover bike(having scooty number). Before Jethwa sat in his Gypsy car, he was shot dead. Even after facing bullet injury, Jethwa tried to nab the culprits. Those who fired, fled, leaving their bike and one desi pistol there. Jethwa was taken to nearby Sola hospital, but it was too late. Look at the irony, the building at which Jethwa was killed was ‘Satyamev’. Just like Haren Pandya, and Pankaj Trivedi, Jethwa didn’t keep weapon for self protection with him. Ahmedabad Police has found a desi pistol on the spot and some rounds some distance away. The investigation is on, but whatever happen now, we can’t bring Amit the activist back. Amit was irreplaceable. He was a force, rare in this time. He was not facebook or twitter or blogger activist, he was an activist on ground equipped with all needed tools to fight for truth. His murder is very shocking. He could do more for Gujarat. It’s a tremendous loss.

6. Jethava a champion of environment issues

ePaper Lite - Times of India Publications

TIMES OF INDIA AHMEDABAD EDN 21-07-2010

Jethava a champion of environment issues

Ahmedabad: It was on Saturday last that activist Amit Jethava had helped a team of geology and mining department file an FIR with Kodinar police against illegal limestone miners. The miners had recently looted mining equipment seized during a raid and Jethava had spearheaded a campaign against illegal mining in his area.
    He shifted base to Ahmedabad a year ago. Jethava, apart from being an environment activist, had forayed into Right to Information (RTI) issues. He had started an RTI information desk in Khamba taluka in Amreli district.
    Be it lion poaching,illegal mining, the famous Aamir Khan-chinkara poaching case, the appointment of information commissioners in Gujarat Jethava used RTI and public interest litigations (PIL) as weapons to fight for public issues. In his latest case Jethava had dragged the state government to Gujarat High Court regarding the appointment of an ombudsman or Lokayukta for Gujarat which has been pending since 2003.
    Jethava had also written to state vigilance commission seeking action against corrupt forest officials.
    In the lion poaching case of 2007,Jethava was among the first to blow the whistle on the mysterious deaths of lions in Gir forest. He later campaigned against shifting of lions to the Kuno Palpur national park in Madhya Pradesh. In the Aamir Khanchinkara poaching incident Jethava had earlier filed a writ petition in HC seeking quashing orders against a Bhuj court which stayed an inquiry against Khan.
    Since 2006 Jethava spearheaded the RTI campaign in Khamba.Every month he and his team would organise mass awareness programmes regarding the new law.From school students to retired employees,women and small traders had been using this new tool in his taluka to get their rights.
    Jethava had spearheaded the campaign against rising case pendency in the Gujarat Information Commission (GIC) due to lack of commissioners.It was on his petition that the HC directed the state government to complete the appointments within a stipulated time.
    He again came to the rescue of thousands of RTI users by filing a writ petition in the HC and made the government accept Indian Postal Order (IPO) as one of the modes of payment to deposit fees while filing of RTI applications.

7. re: Amit Jethwa: RTI Activist shot dead in Gujarat

As reported in Dainik Jagran on 21/07/10

गुजरात में आरटीआई कार्यकर्ता की हत्या

अहमदाबाद, जागरण संवाददाता : अभिनेता आमिर खान के खिलाफ वन्यजीव कानून का उल्लंघन करने की शिकायत करने वाले सामाजिक कार्यकर्ता एवं दलित युवा नेता अमित जेठवा की मंगलवार रात्रि अज्ञात मोटर साइकिल सवार युवकों ने गोली मारकर हत्या कर दी। हाल ही में अवैध खनन के खिलाफ अभियान चलाने के कारण गुजरात के एक सांसद के उसकी तकरार चल रही थी। हत्या को लेकर शक की सुई इस सांसद पर भी उठ रही है। जेठवा को हाईकोर्ट के सामने उस वक्त गोली मारी गई जब वह एक आरटीआई याचिका की फोटो स्टेट कराने के लिए बाहर निकले। हत्या में गुजरात के एक सांसद का हाथ होने की आशंका जताई जा रही है। सौराष्ट्र के अमरेली जिले के खांभा गांव निवासी अमित जेठवा एशियाई शेरों के लिए संरक्षित प्रसिद्ध गिरवन में पशुओं तथा वन संरक्षण के लिए लंबे समय से अभियान चला रहे थे। अज्ञात मोटरसाइकिल सवार युवकों ने रात्रि करीब साढे़ नौ बजे हाईकोर्ट के सामने ही गोली मारकर हत्या कर दी। जेठवा यहां अपने एक वकील मित्र के पास आरटीआई याचिका तैयार कराने के लिए आए थे। जेठवा सौराष्ट्र में अवैध खनन माफियाओं के खिलाफ आरटीआई के जरिए भ्रष्टाचार का विरोध कर रहे थे। सौराष्ट्र के गांव गांव में जेठवा ने गीर नेचर क्लब स्थापित कर लिया था। पिछले कुछ वर्ष से वह आरटीआई के जरिए भी वन विभाग के अधिकारियों तथा वन माफियाओं के भ्रष्टाचार को उजागर करने में लगे थे। इसके अलावा जेठवा अपने अभियान को असरदार बनाने के लिए एक समाचार पत्र का भी शुरू किया था।

source: https://in.jagran.yahoo.com/epaper/ar...85215172960320

Amit Jethwa: Great Crusader Great Environmentalist

Dear RTI Community,

This morning I woke up to the most shocking news about one of Greatest RTI worker and environmentalist in Gujarat, Amit Jethwa being shot dead outside Gujarat High Court. Immediately I had called up JP Sir, who informed me that he was informed about it by a journalist last night within minutes of the incident taking place. Then in a few minutes, Karira Sir also called him up to tell him about it. This morning when I put on my TV the second sentence coming the Aaj Tak Anchor was that Amit Jethwa the RTI worker and environmentalist was shot dead. I was stunned. Just two days back I had called up Amit Sir requesting him whether he would appear before Gujarat Information Commission on my behalf under letter of authority in some of my matters. He agreed instantly and asked me to send the authority. To me it is a personal loss because though I had never met him personally but we were in touch over phone and I had developed special liking for him for the work he was doing. It is suspected that Amit Sir was working on the illegal mining within five kilometers of Gir Sanctuary, which was impeding the Lion inhabitation in the region. The mining mafia and poaching mafia could be responsible for the incident. If that is true Ministry of Mining and Home both are being headed by the Chief Minister. People say that CM is not that kind of person. But even when Haren Pandya was shot dead, fingers were pointed at the CM. No wonder the mining mafia and the poaching mafia would not have dared to do something so drastic without being blessed by the powers that be. Amit Sir came into my contact courtesy JP Sir and through Amit Sir, I came into contact with Bharat Kamalia, the young RTI and environmental crusader. I am worried about Bharat because he too has been taking on local powers that be. I tried calling him up but since morning his cell is switched off. I suggest that our community must device some networking whereby information about sensitive issues should be entrusted to some one outside the state and in case of issues reaching appeal stage, some local person should appear under letter of authorisation. I am making this suggestion for ensuring the safety of members of our community. I also suggest that RTI Worker's award be bestowed upon Amit Sir posthumously. I am also worried about some friends on whose behalf I been appearing in RTI matters in Gujarat who have taken on corrupt practices indulged into by powerful people. Not that we should give up the fight but safety is also necessary as if good crusaders and whistle blowers meet the fate that reached Amit Sir, I think we must work out on some networking of RTI community and information seeker from a particular state can have his/her application filed by someone outside the state and when appeal time comes local person can take over under letter of authority. Friends like Karira Sir, JP Sir, Ganpat Sir, Col. Sir should form an online committee to whet the information seeker's credentials and genuineness of the reasons for seeking information. This would keep the local guy out of the local lime light till appeal time comes. I invite suggestion from friends. In the meantime, I once again reiterate that RTI Worker's award be bestowed upon Amit Sir, posthumously. Let us all pray that Amit Sir rest in peace and be inspiration to our entire community. Today for the first time I am signing of with Unhappy information seeking.
    Bapu

Page 1 of 11 123456 ... LastLast

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android