Topic Identifier

Thread: Complainant gets compensation under RTI Act

1. Complainant gets compensation under RTI Act

Chandigarh, April 1: In a recent judgement, the office of the State Information Commission, Punjab (SICP) has imposed a fine of Rs 25,000 on the Public Information Officer (PIO) on his failure to provide information to the complainant within the stipulated period of 30 days under the Right to Information (RTI) Act.
    The two-member Bench of State Information Commissioners P.P.S. Gill and R.K. Gupta has taken serious cognisance of the fact that despite orders from the Commission, the required information was not supplied within the prescribed time period.

Gurdial Singh, Finance Secretary, Pensioners, Ludhiana, had sought information from the PIO, Director of Employment, Punjab, regarding some recruitments since 2004, but even after over two months, Prem Singh, Under Secretary, PIO, along with Harbans Sharma, Employment Officer, and Harjit Singh, Senior Assistant, failed to provide the information.

Even when Gurdial Singh approached the Commission in December, the PIO failed to comply. On March 16, the respondent, on behalf of the PIO, told the Commission that the information has been dispatched by them on March 12. However, the complainant denied having received any information and nor could the respondent produce any documentary proof.

The Commission not only imposed a fine of Rs 25,000 on the PIO, but also ordered that compensation be paid to Gurdial Singh for harassment. Since he had to come from Ludhiana to attend five hearings, the respondent department has been ordered to pay Rs 500, along with Rs 500 as diet charges, for five days to Gurdial Singh.
    A spokesman of the Commission said this is first time in the country that a commission of any state has provided harassment and diet charges.

Complainant gets compensation under RTI Act

Re: Complainant gets compensation under RTI Act

Dear sir,

my query is :-

can cic order that the applellant be compensated monetorily for acts of commission on the part of the organisation complained against for malafidely denying dues of the appellant by violating rules of service that govern the organisation.

For instance, in my case i have not been paid my leave encasshment dues of over a lac for over a year since i retired, in violation of the norms of the organisation.

If after giving information it is proved that info was denied malafidely and also dues were not released malafidely can compensation be awarded in monetary terms to applellant.

Vinay kala jan 09

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Vinay,

The compensation clause in Sec 19(8) of the RTI Act is ONLY for compensation related to the RTI Process and the detriment suffered by the applicant due to RTI, if any.

It does not cover any compensation claims based on other issues.

Let me know, who get the penalty collecting from PIO, as per RTI Act/Rules

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Jameskutty View Post
    Let me know, who get the penalty collecting from PIO, as per RTI Act/Rules
    It goes into the Government Treasury
    Twitter: @cjkarira

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android