Topic Identifier

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: How to write an RTI Application?

1. Re: How to write an RTI Application?

Quote Originally Posted by ganpat1956 View Post
    Crusader, it is very thoughtful of you to have initiated a thread on this topic. I am sure this thread will help all the new comers to grasp this concept easily. Kushalji has already provided a downloadable version of the RTI Application format. Apart from that I would like to emphasise on a few points that come to my mind.

The application should invariably bear the title " Application for Information under RTI Act 2005". It should also contain a declaration to the effect that the applicant is a citizen of India. A DD/IPO for Rs. 10/= towards the application money or proof of remittance of the said amount, if it is remitted by way of cash, should also be enclosed. Beginners should always remember to keep extar copies of the application and proof of remittance for their own records.

I have also come across a few seasoned veterans using certain disclaimers/declarations in their application, as a measure of abundant precaution against any possible denial of information by PIOs. A few of them are furnished here.

" Kindly note that I am not seeking personal information which would compromise the privacy of any individual OR which would affect your competitive position".

"To the best of my knowledge the information sought does not fall within the restrictions contained in Section 8 and 9 of the Act and it pertains to your office."

If you are applying to a state government PIO, and if you do not understand the local language (believe me; it has happened to one of our members--Mr. Edmar), it will be ideal to specify in your application that you want the information in English. Otherwise chances are that you will end up with a reply in a local language and you won't even know if what you got was information or denial, unless somebody helps you out with translation.

These are just a few thoughts on the formalities of the RTI application. The major work however will be in the framing of appropriate questions, which depend more on the subject matter of the information being sought.
    BUT HOW WOULD I KNOW WHICH CPIO/CAPIO I SHOULD CONTACT

Is there a complete list of all CPIOsand CAPIOs on the website?

Should not we have list of all Govt. Offices in the country, available on the internet?

It should have Telephone numbers and addresses, so that in many cases by directily speaking to the concerned officer, one can have the information, even without filing an application.

2. Re: How to write an RTI Application?

You would like to participate in these discussion threads:
    1. https://www.rtiindia.org/forum/631-compilation-case-law-right-information-act.html
    2. https://www.rtiindia.org/forum/576-pio-database.html
    It's in our yellow book.
    Regards,

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: How to write an RTI Application?

Quote Originally Posted by NRUSINGH View Post
    BUT HOW WOULD I KNOW WHICH CPIO/CAPIO I SHOULD CONTACT

Is there a complete list of all CPIOsand CAPIOs on the website?

Should not we have list of all Govt. Offices in the country, available on the internet?

It should have Telephone numbers and addresses, so that in many cases by directily speaking to the concerned officer, one can have the information, even without filing an application.
    NRUSINGH,

1. That is why the RTI Act asks the PA to do certain things like put up boards, give wide publicity, etc.
    May I ask you how many boards with PIO and AA names have you seen in the offices that you visited last month ?
    I had to use the RTI Act to make a department put up boards in all its offices ! (One officer got so mad at me that instead of a board, he has painted the information on the wall)
    Kushal has pointed out a website but it has very little information.

2. Sure we should have the names of offices and PIO/AA on the net.
    But, please have a look at the Governments own portal for RTI:
    RTI Portal — RTI Portal
    It is outdated, links not working etc...
    I sent NIC a email on the id given on the portal but no reply.
    Should I use the RTI Act to make the government update its own website ?

3. The only way is to search (on the net) OR ask (members of this forum) and pray that someone helps you. OR use ones legs to walk to the office and proudly ask "Who is the PIO under the RTI Act in this office ?"

4. Re: How to write an RTI Application?

Quote Originally Posted by karira View Post
    NRUSINGH,

2. Sure we should have the names of offices and PIO/AA on the net.
    But, please have a look at the Governments own portal for RTI:
    RTI Portal — RTI Portal
    It is outdated, links not working etc...
    I sent NIC a email on the id given on the portal but no reply.
    Should I use the RTI Act to make the government update its own website ?
    Instead of sending a mail to NIC, maybe you might like to send a mail or complaint letter to the Ms Rita Khurana, Secretary of the CIC who is handling such kind of complains. Earlier Mr PK Gera used to handle this. A simple email to him was enough and he used to send a letter to the PA immediately. Mr Gera was transfered back to Gujarat State early this year.

Manoj

5. Re: How to write an RTI Application?

Recently I came across the following decision of the CIC : No.CIC/OK/A/2007/00364 Dated: 10 September 2007.

" The PIO of the Institute provided the information asked for and sent the letter on 22 January 2007. However, this letter was returned by the postal authorities saying that the addressee did not reside at that address. The address of the letter seems to be the same as the one given by the Appellant in his RTI-application. However, the Commission noted that in this letter, the Appellant had also mentioned his mobile as well as the landline telephone numbers. It now directs the Respondents to get in touch with the Appellant on phone, get the proper mailing address from him and direct their communication to this address."

This gives us a clue that mentioning your mobile/landline telephone numbers in your RTI application along with your address is always helpful.

6. Re: How to write an RTI Application?

Very nice thread

All I can say is that apart from knowing what to write one should know what NOT to write

Thanks

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: How to write an RTI Application?

Quote Originally Posted by ganpat1956 View Post

This gives us a clue that mentioning your mobile/landline telephone numbers in your RTI application along with your address is always helpful.
    Thanks Ganpat for highlighting this to all members/guests.
    I have been doing the same for last 4 months and some PIO's have
    reciprocated by asking me to list their numbers on my phone book too.

8. Re: How to write an RTI Application?

Quote Originally Posted by karira View Post
    Thanks Ganpat for highlighting this to all members/guests.
    I have been doing the same for last 4 months and some PIO's have
    reciprocated by asking me to list their numbers on my phone book too.
    Never forget to add your email id.

These days, I seem to get better response by email.

Page 2 of 16 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android