Topic Identifier

Thread: Postoffice refused to information

1. Postoffice refused to information

I had asked for the information from the superintendent of Post Office about details of my registered letter which I had booked 3 years before, but he has refused to give the information saying that he cannot give that information.

He has not written why he cannot give that information. Should I go for appeal?

2. Hello and welcome to RTI India.

As you say that you booked the registered letter 3 yeard back and the registered list is kept only for 18 months in the post office, the information sought for you cannot be given to you under RTI as the preservation period has already passed.

However the CPIO should have mentioned the reason as to why he cannot give the information. You can approach him again, and he might this time give you the proper reply

3. Dear Venugopal,
    The information in RTI is defined as
    "information" means any material in any form, including records, documents, memos, e-mails, opinions, advices, press releases, circulars, orders, logbooks, contracts, reports, papers, samples, models, data material held in any electronic form and information relating to any private body which can be accessed by a public authority under any other law for the time being in force;"

From Kushal post, it established that the registered list of kept for specified period. Infact all those infomration which by legilation or subordinate legislation of parliament is kept for a definite period of time, can be denied by CPIO.

Re: Postoffice refused to information

The documents disposed of from office records can not traced and so can be denied by PIO. Pio can give satisfactory reason for the same.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: Postoffice refused to information

Parsar,

Please note that the last post in this thread was in Sep 2006.
    Twitter: @cjkarira

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android