Central Information Commission
Dated, the 27th September, 2006
- Name of the Appellant : Sh. M.D.N. Panicker, D/81, Sector-18,Rourkela-3
- Name of the Public Authority: Rourkela Steel Plant, SAIL, Rourkela – 769011.
- The appellant is the General Secretary of a Trade Union called Rourkela Shramik Sangh functioning in Rourkela Steel Plant. He sought the following documents from the CPIO:
- “Copies of note-sheets leading to the issuance of circular No.PLRR-11(134) dated 4.4.2005 (Personnel Policy Circular No.869)regarding Coke subsidy;
- Copies of the note-sheet leading to issuance: of Circular No.PLRR-8(36) dated 4.4.2005 (Personnel Policy Circular No.870)regarding canteen expenses;
- Copies of the note-sheets leading to issuance of circular No.PLRR-8(20) dated 12.5.2006 (Personnel Policy Circular NO.898);
- Copies of the note-sheets leading to issuance of Ref.No.SAIL,RSP,IGH:45 dated 30.5.2006 by the Director (M&HS).”
2. Being not satisfied by the information/documents supplied to him, the appellant filed his 1st appeal to the appellate authority, who upheld the decision of the CPIO.Commission’s Decision
3. The Commission obtained detailed comments from the CPIO, in which he has stated that the appellant has asked for copies of the note sheets related to the different orders of the department, and that the information relate to third party i.e. employees information, which is exempt u/s 8(1)(d) &(e) of the Act.
4. The appellant has asked for information in the capacity of the General Secretary of the Employees Association, which, as an organization, is barred u/s of the Act, since all citizens shall have the right to information.
5. The appeal is therefore not maintainable.
(Prof. M.M. Ansari)