Topic Identifier

Thread: How to reduce the number of RTI applications

1. How to reduce the number of RTI applications

RTIA05 is indeed a great boon to the public in this corrupt society. The beaurocracy however often complains that their work is increased manifold in giving replies to applications recieved and often tries to stiffle it or inordinately delays replies. The most obvious solution to this is that the bureaucracy must be directed to send replies to all communications recieved by them from the public. In most cases, applications for info have to be filed because no replies on their earlier letters were recieved from the bureaucracy. In fact, the Act needs small change to the effect that if anbody's letter/representation is not replied by the official concerned within 30 days (as for the application under RIA05), he would also be liable to penalty @ Rs 250/- per day of delay. The NGOs may like to take it up with the Govt.
    In fact, I have started giving the following note on all my letters written to various govt officials, altough of course to no avail yet
    'As you would no doubt be aware, I am entitled to know the action taken by you on this letter u/s of the RTIA05. It will therefore be desirable if you will inform me of the action taken by you on this communication soon to avoid further correspondance under the RTIA05'

2. Re: How to reduce the number of RTI applications

Quote Originally Posted by MK Singhal View Post
    RTIA05 is indeed a great boon to the public in this corrupt society.

'As you would no doubt be aware, I am entitled to know the action taken by you on this letter u/s of the RTIA05. It will therefore be desirable if you will inform me of the action taken by you on this communication soon to avoid further correspondance under the RTIA05'
    Thats a wonderful way to append your application. You can also mark a copy of such application to the press or place them on public domain like this forum.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: How to reduce the number of RTI applications

Many many thanks for this advice.
    It has already been put on my MS Word software as a "standard signature".
    All my future correspondance with any public authority will go with this !

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: How to reduce the number of RTI applications

Singhal,
    If the Government, its staff and its officers, worked for the public good, worked diligently, applied their minds in constructive activities, were not corrupt, were transparent......there would be no need for the RTI Act and the need to reduce the number of applications under RTI would never arise.
    That to my mind is the best way.
    (Sorry, I think I am just daydreaming)

5. Re: How to reduce the number of RTI applications

Quote Originally Posted by karira View Post
    Singhal,
    If the Government, its staff and its officers, worked for the public good, worked diligently, applied their minds in constructive activities, were not corrupt, were transparent......
    Please note that not all staff members are corrupt. Were this the case then the RTI Act would not have come into force at all.

6. Re: How to reduce the number of RTI applications

Quote Originally Posted by mpai View Post
    Thats a wonderful way to append your application. You can also mark a copy of such application to the press or place them on public domain like this forum.
    Good idea. You may also try topropogate it at your end. Thanks. mksinghal

7. Re: How to reduce the number of RTI applications

Quote Originally Posted by MK Singhal View Post
    Good idea. You may also try topropogate it at your end. Thanks. mksinghal
    Mr Singhal, if the PA is within the state, I usually send my application by email and follow it up with the application fee after a few days. All such emails are CCed to journalists, RTI Crusaders and friends.

It helps in making the PIOs act immediately. In such cases, as they are bombarded with phone calls from journalists, they do not wait till the 30 days period.

Manoj

8. Re: How to reduce the number of RTI applications

Quote Originally Posted by mpai View Post
    All such emails are CCed to journalists, RTI Crusaders and friends.

It helps in making the PIOs act immediately. In such cases, as they are bombarded with phone calls from journalists, they do not wait till the 30 days period. Manoj
    This is a very good strategy. It not only ensures a speedy reply, but is sure to act as a deterrent on any PIO who tries to exhibit too much smartness.

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android