Page 12 of 28 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestion for improvement of RTI Act and it's functionality

Re: Suggestion for improvement of RTI Act and it's functionality

"Many often it is heard that, this act is being misused by some citizens."
    These allegations are unsubstantiated and heresy uttered by disgruntled persons.

RTI Act do not have any provision which can be misused or abused.

There is absolutely no need to add such a draconian provision. As such the Info seekers are already penalised by delay and non-supply of information. No further penalty is needed. IMHO

dear sir.

one more suggestion as every body knows that delay tactics are being played by the officials these days and many pio wants to consume FA time also knowlinlgy as they know that there are no penal provisions till First appeal ,So pio also consume that time also.

In my openion FAA should also has power to impose fine in pio is at any stage it found that the delay is delibrate and the pio has not supplied the information knowlingly say to the tune of Rs 5000/-

more over there should be a provision in the RTI Act regarding imposition of penalty on FAA if at any stage it is found that the FAA has not taken the matter seriously. Bothe these amendments sholud be incorporated in the act so that the process may becom much faster and the pio can not take undue benifit of the appeal time.

Dear SID
    In UP most of the IC are from the public only, but at the same time they very much pro-PIO and never imposes any penalty.

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries

There is no need to allow impossing penalty by AA. The FAA is an officer superior to the PIO. The extend of departmental action the FAA can initate is more than enough. Even otherwise no PIO can invite the wrath of his AA;. If he knows that the AA is not with him and will not get any excuse if he does not behave, " voh apna aap sudhar jayaga" The pity is the PIO, AA , ICs and SICs resonate in unison.

Apropos the suggestions for improving the functions under RTI Act 2005.

In the present context the act did not stipulate as to how many information can be sought by an RTI applicant in an individual application by paying the fees of normally Rs.10/- There is no guidelines available in this regard. In certain cases the RTI applicants, taking shelter of the vague clause, seeks informations pertaining to many subjects, in one applications in a lengthy way. Though in Karnataka there is stipulations of 150 words limited in seeking information, there is no general rules in this regard.

May I suggest that for better and effective implementation of the RTI Act 2005, a general guidelines/rules should be there enabling to deal the vast number of RTI applications being poured from general public ? A suitable guidline should be there in this regard in order to effectively implement the right spirit of the ACT ? Expert members may kindly enlighten in this area ?

I donot think that we should put any restriction on the number of queries or info one can ask in a single application. Very few people ask such multiple queries in one single application. Now-a-days there is a thinking that even the Rs10/- application fee should be waived for all. In that case, why should we put a bar on the number of queries? A transparent PA should deal with any number of queries. If more general info is made public under Sec 4 of the Act, the number will automatically come down. The more secrecy, the more lack of transparency,the more will be the number of quries under RTI.

After the processing fee was increase five times from Rs 10 to Rs 50 I have started sending single application containing many questions and resultantly the application is transferred to one and more CPIOs and in such a process it gets delayed beyond 30 days.Finally I get lot of information free of cost.We are here bent upon not to spend any thing beyond RS 50 which is pre requisite.
    The rate of Rs 10 per photocopy is simply prohibitive.I think it is provig to be counter productive.If rate is decreaed to Rs 1 and Processing fee is waived I will file simple applications only.
    It is my way of thinking till the govt addresses our problems in healthy way.

R K Garg
    RTI Chandigarh

Through this thread I would like to advice the applicant Shri Ravi Kumar, H.No.2/401 A, Kattabettu Post, Kotagiri to file a complaint with IRDA and DOPT to take disciplinary action against the erring officers, which may also be a suspension order as per service rules.

Quote Originally Posted by karira View Post
    Here is one more instance of the CIC asking the PA to compensate the a

http://cic.gov.in/CIC-Orders/Decision_19022008_02.pdf

In view of the above, it is directed that within 1 week from the date of the receipt of this order, the head of the public authority, viz. the Chairman & Managing Director, shall pay to the complainant an amount of Rs.15,000/- (Rupees Fifteen Thousand) only as compensation for the detriment suffered by the complainant. The head of the public authority shall be free, should he so decide, to recover this amount from the officers and staff responsible for misplacing the complainant’s RTI-petition. He shall report compliance to the Commission within 1 week of having effected the payment to the complainant.
    BIMAL KUMAR KHEMANI
    a CONSUMER and RTI activist
    ALIGARH, U.P.
    Officially Certified A Grade by DoPT