Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Suggestion for improvement of RTI Act and it's functionality

Dear NK
    It is the forum gives us feedback and bring all the activists updated as well as closer.
    Rest it is duty of we all to spread awareness campaign or help information seekers to file application and appeals etc. LET PEOPLE AWAKE AND HELP THEMSELF and spread the messages.

› Find content similar to: Suggestion for improvement of RTI Act and it's functionality

BIMAL KUMAR KHEMANI
    a CONSUMER and RTI activist
    ALIGARH, U.P.
    Officially Certified A Grade by DoPT

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

"Now it is found that the FAA, generally Concurs to the descision of PIO basing on his reply and without going through the act. The Rule should be changed such that if there is a 2nd appeal and PIO is fpund guilty the FAA should also be treated as guilty for not doing his duty diligently. This will reduce brother hood of safe guarding PIo and will reduce the appeal to CIC too."

This is a good suggestion, if this is implemented then the tendency to err by PIO or FAA will be more in favor of RTI than against it. There will be little room for mala-fide errors.

Name:
    Bimal Kumar Khemani
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

In our country the relation between PIO and FAA are not only brother hood but I say they are hand in gloves x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x.x
    Last edited by ganpat1956; 05-02-09 at 02:06 PM. Reason: Malicious implications not in conformity with forum rules deleted
    BIMAL KUMAR KHEMANI
    a CONSUMER and RTI activist
    ALIGARH, U.P.
    Officially Certified A Grade by DoPT

Name:
    Arun Agrawal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Dear all:

With keen interest, I read all the postings in this important thread intiated by the Chief Dreamer Kushal.

I am a late entrant to this portal , but as a result of posts made by the RTI activists , I must say that I have become quite wiser .

I also say that I am also bringing some of the posts to the knolwedge of the CIC and 2 of his ICs quite well known to me, that is why I obtain prompt acknowledgements from them .

Now I will attend to (as well as clarify) some of the suggestions/comments made in threads 1-50 and then proceed to give my own suggestions ( some of which have already been brought to the notice of CIC - and some that I have occured as a result of reading posts 1-50 ) .

1. CIC does ask Public authorities to compensate appellants if it finds that they have been put to harassment /inconvenience . In a recent Ghaziabad Passport Case, Col.L.K.Batra was directed to be paid Re.1 as fine ( on his own request) . But in some other cases, appellants have been given much more compensation.

2. AAs are also fined by CIC if it comes to the conclusion that they have been negligient or casual . In an appeal I have filed before the CIC recently, in the addendum, I am going to ask that the Commission to impose a penalty of not less than Rs.1.50 lakhs on the FAA for not passing orders in time and for not directing the PIO working under him to ensure that his directions were complied with promptly .

3. That it is not possible to frame the same fee every where . No one has mentioned that Courts in UP charge Rs.500 because of the decision of the CJ of Allahabad High Court who is the competent authority under the Act .

4. The best comment/suggestion I have liked is the one of preparing a compendium/booklet which lists all the decisions relating to a particular topic/issue together. This will help CIC/SIcs as well as appellants and Courts .

5. I do not agree with the credit card usage for payment of token fee of Rs.10. No middleman agency - payment gateways - will do this for free, and there will be a transaction charge . Moreover, all public authorities do not have e-commerce enabled websites to accept via net .

The best way to deal with this situation is to for CIC to prescribe a standard numbered carbonless application form which could be sold by the Post Offices , even by stationery shops , with the application fee clearly marked on them . ( I am going to forward this suggestion to CIC ) .

Trust this is helpful .

Name:
    Arun Agrawal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Further to this post . I am sorry I mentioned 50 posts, but in fact there are 108 ! I stand corrected .

But I wish to elaborate on the comment made by one of the visitors about the need for the requested information to be already available on the websites of respective public authorities . But the reality is distanced from the thought . In a recent complaint to the Registrar of Cooperative Societies - based on suggestion received from mr Karira - I have pointed out that the RTI section of the website ( and perhaps the website itself is outdated ) . In fact, the contents of the CIC website itself ( recent decisions) are outdated . I have rarely come across websites, which are updated on a regular basis, as the concerned Public Authorities (most of them , I state ) go to sleep once the sites are set up, not realising that sites are like the morning newspaper and every day there has to be a new edition , exception that the website retain some of the standard information, but changes and updates others .

Many suggestions have been made reenalising FAAs for being hand in glove with PIOs in order to protect them or otherwise, either due to lack of knowledge or due to being negligent or callous) . I re-ietrate that FAAs are also being reprimanded/fined . However, I must say that I am not aware if SIcs are also doing that .

Name:
    Arun Agrawal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Further to earlier posts , herewith a copy of the communication that I have sent to the CIC at 12 noon today :

"Considering the wide ranging implications of the RTI Act of 2005 ( which most people interpret in a rather narrow sense ) , I have been going deeper into the subject . In recent weeks, I have forwarded few suggestions to further improve and streamline the implementation of the RTI Act and indeed that of the Commission which you, CIC Sir, and one of your Commissioners (SM) have been kind enough to acknowledge.

I have also started interacting with several RTI activits and complainaints as a result of which very useful feedbacks pertaining to the implementation of the RTI Act and functioning of the Commission itself have been received .

Now,this is a request to your goodself to kindly designate one of the officers of the Commission as Public Relations Officer or some such title , who will receive all feedbacks /suggestions/comments from the general public, analyse and collate them and place them before your goodself, which in turn could be discussed at monthly or quarterly meetings of the Commission to see :

- which ones are impractical and need to be discarded
    - which ones could be implemented in the shortest possible time
    with minimum burden on CIC's fragile manpower and financial resources
    - which ones be kept in view and be implemented in phases over a period
    of time because I believe that this concept is still at a nascent stage and
    continues to evolve rapidly .

I thank you for your time and convey my respectful greetings to your Sir and to your Information Commissioners on bringing about a silent and invisible revolution in the country and introducing a "sea change" in the mindsets of both the bureaucracy as well as the citizens ."

Name:
    Sandeep Baheti
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by arun_agrawal View Post
    I do not agree with the credit card usage for payment of token fee of Rs.10. No middleman agency - payment gateways - will do this for free, and there will be a transaction charge
    What's the problem with that? For DD also banks charge a commission and even for IPO there is a commission.

Name:
    Arun Agrawal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Sandeep: It is clear that you do not understand the entire gamut of credit card operations .

The first and foremost requirement is for all the public authorities to set up an e-commerce enabled website . Complete with secure firewalls and VISA verification.

The second is that masses who really require RTI assistance are not exposed to the culture of credit cards or are not covered under the strict credit card issue criteria .And how many of them would be familiar with "net banking " . Even the most resourceful businessmen that are members of the Rotary Club I belong to, go to the bank to get old fashioned drafts issued for a fee, whereas this (transfer of funds to accounts with other banks or the same bank branches elesewhere ) can be easily done on-line for free .

The third is that credit card "hacking" technology is fast advancing, so the concerned
    public authorities " websites must have fool proof safeguards in place to prevent cards " being stolen" literally . ICICI Bank, for instance, among all other banks that I and my family have accounts with , is the bank that uses the most secure technology via usage of virtual keyboard , code nos etc etc .

Keep in mind also, that while an increasing number of populace has access to credit cards, I guess at least 50% or more do not use them via internet with the fear that data may be stolen .

And finally, my friend, for a credit card operation to be financially viable, you cannot use them to charge sums ranging from Rs.5 to Rs.10 which is the RTI application fee in most cases . Ask experts .