Topic Identifier

Page 17 of 28 FirstFirst ... 1213141516171819202122 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestion for improvement of RTI Act and it's functionality

1. Re: Suggestion for improvement of RTI Act and it's functionality

Dear Agrawal,

I equate the struggle for Right to Information with the freedom struggle for Independence from British, the latter struggle was for freedom from the Britishers and the former for freedom from our own brother/ sister Babus.

I feel the government should completely exempt all kinds of charges towards RTI i.e. charges towards the RTI application, first appeal, second appeal, photocopying charges (implement Sec. 4 and propel India towards e-governance), postal charges etc.

I would to a great extent equate expenditure made by the government on Right to Information with the expenditure made towards maintaining the defense system of a country, one to protect citizens from the external forces and the other to protect the citizens from internal forces.

We all pay towards defense system indirectly through the government and similarly we all can pay towards Right to Information system indirectly through the government.

Apart from exempting all the charges towards implementation of RTI, I feel government should allocate a huge budget towards implementation of sec. 4 which is the heart of the RTI Act, thereby a citizen need not file RTI because almost all the information is available on the website of a PA, and so:

1) If one notices a construction activity in the neighborhood, one can log on to internet and search for the permissions granted for such a construction.(What is coming up a Shopping Mall, a School, an old age home, a Stadium, an Industrial Estate or a Chemical Plant etc.)

2) One can file a RTI application online and the PA will be able to e-mail a write/edit protected authentic soft copy. (Almost free of charge process)

"Sec 4 (a) maintain all its records duly catalogued and indexed in a manner and the form which facilitates the right to information under this Act and ensure that all records that are appropriate to be computerised are, within a reasonable time and subject to availability of resources, computerised and connected through a network all over the country on different systems so that access to such records is facilitated."

Hence I believe investment on implementation of sec. 4 of the RTI Act, would be a worthwhile investment, which would propel India towards E-Governance.

"If you think in terms of a year, plant a seed; if in terms of ten years, plant trees; if in terms of 100 years, teach the people." -- Confucius

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: Suggestion for improvement of RTI Act and it's functionality

Quote Originally Posted by arun_agrawal View Post
    Most of these payment related issues : application fees/photocopying charges etc can be easily resolved if the appellants/information seekers were enabled to pay such charges via
    internet , which really means that all PAsmust , over a period of time, provide for acceptance of monies via credit/debit cards .
    India Population: Aprox 1200 Million
    Internet Users: Aprox. 47 Million
    Credit+Debit Card holders: Aprox: 65 Million

Therefore, it is better to strengthen the present system itself, rather than looking for newer solutions.
    Twitter: @cjkarira

The RTI Act itself is very complete act does not require any changes or ammendements.The only requirement is whole heartedly implemantion of it in its true spirit.

The FAA being the appellate authority and is the senior officer of the same public authority must discharg his duties very honestly with all the loyality to the NATION. So that babudom can have a lesson and do not play any tricks with WE THE COMMON MAN.

If all the fee and charges are waived than our great INDIAN mentality will try to suck everything from all the public authorities.

So I once again say the FAA must act honestly and in case of any failure or not providing proper information, this PIO class be fined heavily without any mercy.

I am sure ye sabhi log sudhat jayenge
    BIMAL KUMAR KHEMANI
    a CONSUMER and RTI activist
    ALIGARH, U.P.
    Officially Certified A Grade by DoPT

[quote=colnrkurup;6316]My suggestions are far too many. I shall come to it later. However following are the main aspects:
    I Agree with the suggestions of Sri Colnkurup. As in Hon'ble court, the respondent should be asked to submit written statement countering the appeal from appellant. Mechanism should be created to know the feedback about the decisions of CIC which will improve the functioning of CICs.The decisions of CIC should be monitored by eminent persons from Hon'ble Supreme court as any wrong decisions will have adverse affect on applicant and as the wrong decisions sends wrong messages to those evade from furnishing the information in order to suppress the informations\document exposing the corruption and other unethical practices

I agree totaly with above comments. The background, exposure to public problems, wisdom, perception about public, etc. influences the decision making and the decisions of CIC in turn play vital role in the destiny of country. Hence in case of personalities with government background being considered for appointment of IC, only those with proven records of serving the public directly and also possessing awards for serving the public should be made eligibility criteria for appointing the Information commissioners.

I do not agree with Mr Karira's comments here . This information population v/s usage is absolutely irrelevant .

How many people use ATM Cards to withdraw/deposit cash/cheques and make balance enquiries .

Some foreign bank charge extra money if you wish to draw cash advances over the counter .

If internet users are indeed 47 million - a figure that needs to be verified - and even if 47,000 users go through the internet to pay the fees , there will be much less paperwork and accounting involved .

We have to go through different routes to resolve this issue . Only one solution is not possible .
    STAND UP AND FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS .

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Arun,

Internet users are indeed 47 million (latest figure being tracked) - and declining !
    Attached are 2 reports based on surveys in 2008

Regarding Credit + Debit Cards, I cannot give you the report because I only have access with a password and it cannot be downloaded. But I can share the break-up

Credit Cards: 27 Million as on Jan 2009 (and also declining !)
    Debit Cards: 38 Million (but increasing)

These do not include pure ATM cards which can only be used to withdraw cash from ATM's.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Twitter: @cjkarira

To seek information on medical ground, why not Rs. 10/- fees and formalities waived
    To get information from hospitals on medical grounds there should not be any charges for applying for RTI Act. As on the critical stage the appellant had been disturbed with the performance of the patient and he want to seek information regarding health of the patient. On this factor the information should be provided free of cost and within 24 hours. But after filing the application on medical grounds even then the RTI applicant could not get the reply on priority basis. Secondly there is a process to deliver the application. As the life of a patient had been critical and one has not so much time to file the application. On that ground the information applied in electronic form like E-mail should also be considered on priority basis. The payment of fees of meagre amount of RS 10/- should be avoided at this stage. If we can't build pressure on the medical staff at that moment when the highhandedness is being noticed then the life of patient can not be saved. So, the life is more valuable. I want the opinion of my friends that whether the life of a patient has not having value of Rs. 10/-. If yes then why not the amount of Rs. 10/- be waived on medical ground applications. It is equally important to discuss that if the amount of Rs. 10/- waived in case of medical ground applications then how much loss the nation will have to bear. In one point we say safety saves and in other point we bound the dependents to file properly and with all the formalities. This is the point of debate, I hope the authorities must take full responsibility for enforcing the law for the application on medical ground without any sort of formality.
    Rajneesh Madhok,
    B-xxx/63, Nehru Nagar,
    St. No. 2, Railway Road,
    Phagwara (Punjab)

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android