Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Suggestion for improvement of RTI Act and it's functionality

In reply to Mr. H. K. Dubey:

While I appreciate the strong desire to bring perfect atmosphere in the governance I am the person who believe that one can't expect RTI, only in second year of its existence to expect it to give 100% benefits. I also believe that penalties are not the answers to ensure results. RTI activists should think in terms of educating PIOs, motivating them and encouraging them to disclose informations. Often it is not PIOs fault but it is the set up in which he is working, the responsibilities put on him by his superiors and so on. I recomend all RTI activists to consider overall state of affairs in this country of non accountability and find and develop vaious areas to build accountability in general, RTI can be a part of it. RTI has given power to the citizens but we should not think that we become strong bosses and demand punishment to the bureaucrats. You may at me.

Narayan Varma

› Find content similar to: Suggestion for improvement of RTI Act and it's functionality

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Dear Mr.Kushal,
    I shall be thankful if you can direct me as to howto postmessagesin this cite
    Col NR Kurup

Name:
    Dr. Pathak
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Hello Col N.R. Kurup,

Kindly read the topic here for how to post a new thread:

http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/site-f...wn-thread.html

Regards,

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

If You Can't Afford 'rotti' Eat 'pizza'

One of my observations on the CIC's (Management) Regulation 2007 was that it necessitate a complainant hailing from from far away places like Kerala, Manipur or Pune visittingc IC's office many times. Prof KK Nigam, the Legal Advisor to CIC has furnished me a wonderful reply. It expose the distance of the bureaucracy from the common man and hard reality. According to Prof KK Nigam, the Regulation allow the complainant to send another man to represent him. A poor complainant's inability to attend is due to the expenses involved. He cannot afford even the second class railfare, sleep in the Delhi railway station and eat from Dhabba. If he choose to send some one else to represent, he has to pay him at least III AC railfare, hotel bill and his fees. This is as good as telling a hungry man that "if he cannot afford 'ROTTI' he may eat "PIZZA"
    Last edited by colnrkurup; 09-08-07 at 07:54 AM.

Name:
    Ganpat
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)

Dear Colonel Sir,

Your observations are very true. Distance and affordability prevent many appellants from attending the CIC hearings when their cases are taken up. However, there is a tele conferencing facility that has been made available through NIC and the appellant can visit the nearest NIC studio available to make use of this facility during hearings. But unfortunatley I do not know how it works in actual practice. If any of our members know more about it, please post it in the forum for the benefit of all.

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Dear friends,
    The PIOs are not enemies of cityzens; but part of us. They are badly cornered singularily. In many cases if the information is disclosed it is likely to expose atleat a tail-piece of corruption which give chance for further proble. The corruption might not have been done by the present PIO but his predecessors of the public authority where many of his colleagues might have been involved. He does not want to cause harm to his fellow-workers or invite wrath of the big-shots affected. This is one of the reason where one find in many a cases the AAs agree with the decisions of the PIO. If the AAs are also made liable for penalty, the PIO get someone more to share his burden and things might improve.

Name:
    Dr. Pathak
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

If the AAs are also made liable for penalty
    One very good suggestion and need some merits/de-merits to be discussed.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

I am in full agreement with Dr Kushal Pathak that the scope of section 20(1) of RTA ACT must be enlarged to include Appellate Authority (who hears the first appeal) under a parallel Rs 250/- per day penalty which will be a concurrent penalty with the department PIO / SPIO.

This will decrease the official brotherhood and hence agreement with PIO / SPIO of the department and reject/ refuse information sought under RTI ACT on one pretext or the other.

Proper action by Appellate Authority (who hears first appeal) will definitely reduce the load on SIC / CIC.

Page 2 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast