Topic Identifier

Page 26 of 28 FirstFirst ... 2122232425262728 LastLast

Thread: Suggestion for improvement of RTI Act and it's functionality

Re: Suggestion for improvement of RTI Act and it's functionality

Quote Originally Posted by narayanvarma View Post
    In reply to Mr. H. K. Dubey:

While I appreciate the strong desire to bring perfect atmosphere in the governance I am the person who believe that one can't expect RTI, only in second year of its existence to expect it to give 100% benefits. I also believe that penalties are not the answers to ensure results. RTI activists should think in terms of educating PIOs, motivating them and encouraging them to disclose informations. Often it is not PIOs fault but it is the set up in which he is working, the responsibilities put on him by his superiors and so on. I recomend all RTI activists to consider overall state of affairs in this country of non accountability and find and develop vaious areas to build accountability in general, RTI can be a part of it. RTI has given power to the citizens but we should not think that we become strong bosses and demand punishment to the bureaucrats. You may at me.
    Narayan Varma
    I think Mr Narayan Verma is correct. I find many PIO s are under pressure from there higher officers hence I suggest in case of breakage of act the highest boss of the PIO should be penalised with fine. they will be given power to recover the fine amount from the concerned officer who is in fault. In one case the RTI query was rejected on the ground the DD was not as per there wish but was favouring Accounts Officer during appeal I came to know that their upper office was not allowing them to open account in the name of Accounts Officer. So how the PIO is responsible for the fault

on line registration is not a problem it can be done as in case of online complaint/appeal to CIC and payment can be done through any bank or ATM as in reservation of train tickets are done for e-tickets or I-tickets.
    I even suggest no fees should be charged if the query is not more then some fixed pages prescribed in the act( Necessary amendment should be made in the Act) in case it is more then the pages as per the act there should be a letter from the PIO requesting to deposit the fees within 15 days or so which should be also in the act.
    Last edited by hkdubey; 22-03-10 at 10:30 PM. Reason: to delete few duplications

Quote Originally Posted by hkdubey View Post
    I think Mr Narayan Verma is correct. I find many PIO s are under pressure from there higher officers hence I suggest in case of breakage of act the highest boss of the PIO should be penalised with fine. they will be given power to recover the fine amount from the concerned officer who is in fault. In one case the RTI query was rejected on the ground the DD was not as per there wish but was favouring Accounts Officer during appeal I came to know that their upper office was not allowing them to open account in the name of Accounts Officer. So how the PIO is responsible for the fault
    I do agree with this. The Head of the public authority, be punished since he is only responsible for all the activities in his office.
    BIMAL KUMAR KHEMANI
    a CONSUMER and RTI activist
    ALIGARH, U.P.
    Officially Certified A Grade by DoPT

Name:
    Mansukhlal
    Blog Entries

Dear Charli,
    Even CIC does not act on your Application/Appeal filed in their Web, unless you send them confirmation copy of the same!! No Government Departments use Internet for giving reply to citizens for their letters/representations/ Applications etc under RTI Act!!

For making payment of Rs 2 for a copy of required document, we have to pay Rs 2 more for 2 POSTAL ORDERS or pay M.O. charges or D.D. charges or go to that Public Office!! Just as nominated Post Offices accept Applications with Rs 10 for all Central Govt Public Authorities, all Banks/Offices of Centra , State, Municipality etc should be authorised to accept all correspondance with money, as necessary, though this will delay the process, as pointed out by Shri . Court Fee stamps, Revenue stamps, Postal stamps etc should be accepted to avoid delay, as Rs 10 is not going to increase the Revenue of that Public Authority but will be a token fee. As suggested By Shri , Right To Information should give Right to Information free of any charge.

I am sure, well almost sure that nobody has pointed out the following...

The RTI appellant gets a reply and many a times it falls in denial of information due to many reasons almost known to many of us. That is the reality.

Now coming to the issue of statistics and feedback to CIC on all these cases...

Most of the RTI applicants do not pursue the matter as prescribed due mostly to lack of knowledge and time. So the statistics that the commission gets is not correct as these non pursued cases are not part of the final figure.

Enjoy and have a nice day.
    I cannot think of accounting for these but it has to be accounted for. Difficult task, definately.

On the question of making the process of payment under RTI easier the Pricewaterhouse Report has made these suggestions:-

5.4.2. Convenient options for collection of Fees
    Payment Channels
    • As pointed out earlier, there is a need for standardization of RTI fee payment channels and making it convenient for
    a citizen to file request from remote locations (even outside the State), which is not possible if the fee has to be
    paid in cash.
    • It is recommended that the respective State Governments should issue instructions or amend rules (as the case
    may be) to the Public Authorities to include convenient payment channels for submission of RTI applications by the
    citizens. The collection mode should be convenient to the citizen filing for such information from a remote location
    (For a State Public Authority there should be at least two convenient modes of requesting for information remotely/
    outside the State). The options are:
    • Convenient payment modes for applying from outside the State
    - Indian Postal Order
    - Demand Draft (convenient mode for requesting information remotely/outside the State)
    - Department of Posts should introduce “RTI Envelopes” which would have an inbuilt cost of application fee
    (convenient mode for requesting information remotely).
    - Electronic Payment Gateway, which would be required for the payment to be made from the RTI portals
    (convenient mode for requesting information remotely)
    • Other Payment modes
    - Court Fee Stamps & Non-judicial Stamps (requires physical access)
    - Cash (requires physical access)
    • At this stage, it would be pertinent to mention that some of the above steps may lead to revenue loss to the State
    Government. However, it is argued that this loss would be insignificant and the revenue accruing to Central
    Government would be used for strengthening of the Act - awareness generation, Knowledge
    Resource Centre etc.

We hope that the Govt. is considering these suggestions.

I am not sure if somebody has already put in this idea in this long thread.
    I have been been punitively transferred for filing an RTI request by my University authorities. The court quashed my transfer, with the single judge specifically stating that the transfer order was passed with mala fide intent by the authorities, as I had filed an RTI request. I approached the Commission with a complaint quoting the court order. The Commission merely forwarded it to the University!!
    I feel there should be a specific provision in the Act to penalize public authority who abuse their powers to punish RTI applicants.

Kindly go through the post of Mr. Karira about the suggestions made to DOPT in the meeting dated 31-03-10., or can have a copy from the DOPT site
    BIMAL KUMAR KHEMANI
    a CONSUMER and RTI activist
    ALIGARH, U.P.
    Officially Certified A Grade by DoPT

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android