Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Suggestion for improvement of RTI Act and it's functionality

It is to early to give any suggestion. The RTI act itself is a big achivement for the citizens of India. I think we should go slow and stedy as this act is difficult for the bureucats technocrats and polticians who are running the country to swallow.

Many cases will go to High court/supremecourt in coming future to avoid giving the information on plea or the other. The judiciary is expected to give many decision which will so the path.

At this moment of time it is required that forums working for promotion and awareness of RTI act should work closely and study duffrent type of cases right from the begining till the utilisation of the information received by an individual.

The top Ten cases are posted in the web right from application to PIO and the constraint in getting the nformation. The uses made after getting the information.
    Thanks

› Find content similar to: Suggestion for improvement of RTI Act and it's functionality

Bijay Sarawgi
    Swastik House
    Upper Bazar, Gandhi Chowk
    Ranchi-834001( Jharkhand)

Name:
    J.P. SHAH
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

I Concur With Shri Varmaji. 60 Year Old Mind Frame And Systems Will Take Some Time To Change. We Must Push, Educate And Encourage Officers To Change Governance Through Rti. Things Have Started Changing As Detailed In My Blog.

Name:
    J.P. SHAH
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

Operational Difficulties and Suggestions for RTI.
    1] It is difficult to trace out designation and office address of APIO/PIO/AA for a particular information/public authority, specially if one desires to have information of a distant place from residence of the requestor or if he resides in other state. There is no commonality in designating APIO/PIO/AA in various depts. Websites are not clear on this point. <O></O>
    I humbly suggest that Govt should designate one APIO at Collector Office of each district for all the public authorities of state govt, as has been done by central government with Post Offices. A citizen can apply to the designated APIO at Collector Office at any district HQ, for all the information under the act pertaining to the state. Problem of address will also be solved as Collector Office is well known to public and post office.
    <O2] The state rules do not specify exact designation in whose favour bank demand draft be made out for filing fees and charges. There should be common name in whose favour bank demand drafts can be purchased e.g. “Public Information Officer -RTI Act 2005, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comhttp://www.rtiindia.org/forum/ /><st...me><FONT face=____________</st1:PlaceName><st1:PlaceType>State</st1:PlaceType>” for all public authorities of the state. PIO may at present return application if demand draft is not in favour of correct name, which may be different for different depts./P.A., unknown to common citizen. Web sites are silent on this issue.<O

Name:
    J.P. SHAH
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

SUGGESTION TO AVOID LITIGATION AGAINST <O
    RIGHT TO INFORMATION ACT 2005<O
    Of late, public authorities are frequently invoking writ jurisdiction of High Courts to avoid or delay supply of information to the public. This they do to protect vested interests, that too at the cost of public money, without any accountability. To contain such wasteful action by public authority, I suggest as under:
    <ORTI Act should be amended to mandate that the public authority should seek prior approval of full bench of Central Information Commission, <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-coml</st1:City> before invoking writ jurisdiction of high or supreme court against rulings of CIC or SICs.<OThus unnecessary litigation can be avoided and there would be finality to the case without wastage of time and public money. </O<O

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

My suggestions are far too many. I shall come to it later. However following are the main aspects:
    1. Change the attitude. Presently only the RTI Act is citizen-friendly and not the CIC/SICs/AAs/PIOs and PAs
    2. Amend the Act to make the AAs also liable for penalty, SICs and CIC accountable
    3. Introduce a uniform Rules for payment of fees applicable to CIC and SICs of all states
    4. Form a Central Agency to supervise the functions of CIC and SICs specifically who should have the power to examine Third Appeal in exceptional and specific laid down aspects and even complaints against SICs and CICs. This Agency to be introduced in Section 17 of the RTi Act before impeaching anIC. All recommendations ofSICs and CICs seeking their terms and conditions of service, higher status etc should be made to route through this Agency insead of deciding themselves when even even the CIc has no jurisdiction over SIC. In any case the CIC and SICs cannot be allowed to continue with their presnet unaccountable style of functioning .
    5. Formulate aStandard Operating Procedure within the ambit ofRTI Act forCIC and SICs
    6. Curb the tendency of CIC from issuing arbitrary unlawful orders like CIC (Management) Regulation 20077. The CIC/SICs are not being court, stop them from acting/following the procedures in CPC except that specifically assigned to them under the Act. If this fact is understood, there is no need for summoning the Appellant/Complainant for hearing. The question of ex-partee does not come in the scene. Of course the laws of this country necessitate that before awarding punishment to a party that party should be given an opportunity for being heard. Hence only in case it is envisaged to impose penalty to PIO,he is to be called. There is absolutely no need to call the Appellant/Complainant for hearing. If a uniform SOP is followed viz., Registration, issue of Number, senting the appeal to AA and PIO calling for comments of AA and PIO, forwarding its copy to complainant calling for Rejoinder and if needs be encourage a Notes of Arguments with orders No new facts should be allowed to be brought in by any party after submission of comments and rejoinder for appeals as prevalent in courts.
    7. The CIC and SIC should have a system of accepting feed back/suggestion and communicating its outcome The list is too long. I shall come to it little later after seeing the posting from others.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

In the recent conference of sic's they have demanded power to issue arrest warrants against of those PIOs who dont turn up for their summons. first let the sics show their efficiency in disposing the cases with their power under civil procedure code. as far as tamil nadu is concerned the staffs of the sic are mostly ex-servicemen who have less acquiatance over civil work which creates lot of confusions. As courts have registry support SICs should also be given a proper support.

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Dear Mr.rlsaravanan,
    I had never heard of our patriotic government ever bothering about Ex-servicemen so far. Deviating from the main issue I seek from you where the Retired defence officers are employed in the TNSIC. Is any of the ICs are Retired defence service Officers ? I find it difficult to believe that a Retired defence Service Officer (not promotee but selected type) is less capable than any of the IAS officers in general. Can you give me litle more details like the Army/Navy/Air Force rank of the officer appointed as an IC there ? I am very curious
    Last edited by colnrkurup; 23-10-07 at 05:20 PM.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)

Please visit:

Authorised Officers of Tamil Nadu Information Commission, Govt of Tamil Nadu

I don't see any ex-serviceman in the IC or the Administration. May be in the junior staff.
    I think by "ex-servicemen" , rlsaravanan means ex-Officers of the Government.

Page 3 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast