Topic Identifier

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestion for improvement of RTI Act and it's functionality

1. Re: Suggestion for improvement of RTI Act and it's functionality

Well, it is true that it is the prerogative of the respective State Governments. But since the discussion is going on to suggest points to make improvements in the RTI Act, therefore, I suggested this. I think, higher rate of fees is one of the big hurdels in the success of the RTI Act

2. Re: Suggestion for improvement of RTI Act and it's functionality

Kushal

Dedicated activist like your team must raise voice against the application fee along with RTI Applications. It is just peanut - Rs 10/ (very few states it is Rs 20/ and Courts charge rs 5- possibly). One has to pay possibly more busfare to buy this court fee stamp as it is available only in designated places. Applicant is spending money Rs 20/ by sending it registered post. Hand delivery are free.

PA must acept application by email in a particular format without any court fee and reply by email only which will contain information sought and intimation about fee payable for collection of document copies, if any.

At every stage of RTI , e-Governace must take place.

3. Re: Suggestion for improvement of RTI Act and it's functionality

I am sorry for the typing mistakes in my post dated 30.10.2007 at 11.58 AM. In fact, instead of "required to be received", I was intending to right "required to be reduced". Secondly, instead of "fee for ontaining information", it is "fee for obtaining information". Due to these mitake whole of the sense changed. I am really sorry for that. In fact the fee should be reduced to the actual cost i.e. Rupee one per page or less.

Re: Suggestion for improvement of RTI Act and it's functionality

The Act prescribes that the CICs/SICs should come from the following;

"The Chief Information Commissioner and Information Commissioners shall be persons of eminence in public life with wide knowledge and experience in law, science and technology, social service, management, journalism, mass media or administration and governance."
    But most of the posts have been hijacked by bureaucrats so far.
    Very few ICs are from non-government sector. Mr. Vijay Kuvalekar IC (Maharastra) is perhaps is only IC who was a journalist before.
    Do we have any other ICs who is not a bureaucrat?

When the Central and State Govts start the next round of appointments, they must consider non-bureaucrats to balace the bias that has crept into the system.
    Last edited by sidmis; 31-10-07 at 11:00 AM.

5. Re: Suggestion for improvement of RTI Act and it's functionality

Quote Originally Posted by sidmis View Post
    The Act prescribes that the CICs/SICs should come from the following;

"The Chief Information Commissioner and Information Commissioners shall be persons of eminence in public life with wide knowledge and experience in law, science and technology, social service, management, journalism, mass media or administration and governance."
    But most of the posts have been hijacked by bureaucrats so far.
    Very few ICs are from non-government sector. Mr. Vijay Kuvalekar IC (Maharastra) is perhaps is only IC who was a journalist before.
    Do we have any other ICs who is not a bureaucrat?

When the Central and State Govts start the next round of appointments, they must consider non-bureaucrats to balace the bias that has crept into the system.
    In this regard, kindly also see my blog "Bureaucracy : Biggest hurdel for RTI Act."

6. Re: Suggestion for improvement of RTI Act and it's functionality

dear sir, "Democracy requires an informed citizency and transparency of information which are vital to its functioning" . This is the purpose of introducing RTI Act. Purpose or aim will be achieved by the RTI users and the information commission.people have started to use the act in large numbers.It is regrettable that the information commission`s orders are not given due respect. Commission should concentrate on effective training of officials at the earliest. I propose to punish all erring officials. If the government officers understand the real value and seriousness of the Act, number of second appeals to the information commission will decrease ..

7. Re: Suggestion for improvement of RTI Act and it's functionality

I agree. The officers will behave only when they have the fear of penalty. It is obligatory on the part of the commissions to impose penalties, but the commissions are not imparting their duties. Therefore, I think the Commissions have to improve their working, only then the officers will have the fear from the apex bodies under the Act. For this, first of all the commissions are required to be forced to do their duties of imposing penalties. This can be done either by approaching High Courts against the decisions of the Commissions or making large number of applications to the Governors to recommend inquiry agaist the particular information commissionor for his incapacity. We can also take help of media in putting pressure of the commissions to do their duties.

8. Re: Suggestion for improvement of RTI Act and it's functionality

I was wondering if we can develop some plans to improve RTI usage in the rural areas or with common masses, the more relevant grass root level queries we have the more the development.

Unfortunately I had come across less of question when it come to grass root RTI implementation!

Some questions like:

1. How many queries have been raised asking the timings of Fare shop controlled by SDM?
    2. Have somebody bothered to ask for the proportion of cement used to construct the rural school?
    3. How many have asked questions about MLA fund for rural approach road construction?
    4. Have somebody asked about why one was favored when the gun license in Allahabad is granted; and which makes him win the election?
    5. Have somebody asked about urban employment generation programme (uegp) which broadly aimed at improving the quality of life of urban people by providing gainful employment through setting up self-employment ventures and creation of socially and economically useful assets and shelter upgradation is a total failure in bihar, according to comptroller and auditor general (cag) of india? Why only it was 21% success?
    6. How many RTI applications had been asked when many school children are deprived of the Mid-day Meal Programme?
    7. Have somebody ever asked a question from Khadi and Village Industries Commission about the gross irregularity in releasing marginal money to REGS workers?

Many of the public utility offices like passport, BSNL, Banks, Ministries would come to terms with good governance soon with the usage of RTI, but I discount this success if it did not hit the District Administration and the village level.

I feel week, when we only focus upon CIC and when there are way too many people talking about CIC than the relevant questions above. I would be delighted if some of us form a committed team to take up such matter and follow it to logical conclusion, and also post all updates at the website!

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst 12345678910 ... LastLast

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android