Thread: Suggestion for improvement of RTI Act and it's functionality

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Suggestion for improvement of RTI Act and it's functionality

The RTI Act provides that the information should be provided as expeditiously as possible, however, the trend is to provide the information only at the fag end of the time limit of 30 days. Therefore, I propose that it should be made mandatory for the PIO to provide the details of the day to day actions taken in disposing of the application, alongwith the information. This will keep check on those PIOs, who delays the information unnecessarily.

› Find content similar to: Suggestion for improvement of RTI Act and it's functionality

Name:
    Sunil Ahya
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)

I had suggested earlier also. I feel that proceedings of SIC/CIC should be covered live on television like parliamentary proceedings.

This will usher in a revolution, and neither the AA has to be penalised nor the SIC/CIC time limits need to be fixed to deliver a judgment.

While travelling abroad I have noticed that, those countries have fixed cameras on each and every traffic signal, the moment the signal turns red and if one crosses the signal the camera will click photograph of the driver as well as number plate of the vehicle with a huge flash.

Later on one will receive the challan at his address along with the photograph proof. Fine Indian Rs.6000/- along with demerit points which will accumlate in case of repeated offence.

I have seen quite a few vehicles coming to screeching halt once the signal turns red. The rule gets implemented very successfully.

There is difference between RTI and Court Cases (Lower court, Appleant court, High court, Supreme court) and so I feel it is possible to cover RTI proceedings live whereas it would be difficult in case of Court cases. I have tried to list the differences below in favour of making RTI proceedings live. Please correct me in case of a mistake. I would also appreciate if one can add further points.

1. RTI is a quasi judicial procedure whereas Court proceedings are judicial in nature.

2. RTI is simply right to information (disseminates info) whereas court cases decide what and who is right or wrong.

3. RTI except where the queries fall under the provisions of sec.8 & 11, every citizen has a right to know without any reason or locus standi, so no harm in everybody getting to know the information as such everybody had the right to know.

4. RTI does not change the status of a particular case whereas court judgment can change the status of a case.

5. Under RTI a citizen is simply seeking information which any and every one has a right to know and I suppose once having recd the info, one can publish it without any copyright issues whereas in a court case one may have levelled serious allegations which one may not be able to prove later on and the person against whom the allegations were levelled may get defamed till the verdict is delivered in his favor.
    "A judge is a law student who marks his own examination papers." - H. L. Mencken.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

We are talking about improvement in RTI Act for better functioning.I will lik to point out that that is lack of awraeness among the most educated people also.Procative disclosures have not be made,placed at a right place and updated.We should work to spread awareness and than see the result.Awaz aganst delays and proper thinking of provisions and to take action strictly as per law and not mox RTI with civil law will get us better results.If all applicants work strictly in accordance with prevailing provisions the PIO and AA will be firced to work and see the result no one will need to ask for a cahnge but govt will itself make it to functional.

R K Garg

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Look at it from a different angle. What happens if one read in the news paper that " State Information Commission fine Tahsildar,............. Rs.10,000/- (@ Rs.250/- per day ) for causing the delay of 40 days in providing the information requested by Sri..... under RTI Act" ? Even those who have no interest in the RTI Act will be too inquisitive to find out as to how it is done. Those interested will go out of the way to learn everything and use it. Professional helpline, RTI Consultant and Advisors will emerge without any more publicity or awareness.

In nut shell what is required is RESULT. Only the Information Commissions can help us. Of course media can play vital role in giving wider publicity on dismal performance/ non-performance of the commissions compelling the Politicians and our Rulers to take the RTI Act seriously. They can make the Commission function in such a way that they dispose off a case at least by 6 months and act strictly in accordance with Section 20 of the Act in penalising the PIOs found guilty.

I do not find any other solution.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colnrkurup View Post
    Look at it from a different angle. What happens if one read in the news paper that " State Information Commission fine Tahsildar,............. Rs.10,000/- (@ Rs.250/- per day ) for causing the delay of 40 days in providing the information requested by Sri..... under RTI Act" ? Even those who have no interest in the RTI Act will be too inquisitive to find out as to how it is done. Those interested will go out of the way to learn everything and use it. Professional helpline, RTI Consultant and Advisors will emerge without any more publicity or awareness.

In nut shell what is required is RESULT. Only the Information Commissions can help us. Of course media can play vital role in giving wider publicity on dismal performance/ non-performance of the commissions compelling the Politicians and our Rulers to take the RTI Act seriously. They can make the Commission function in such a way that they dispose off a case at least by 6 months and act strictly in accordance with Section 20 of the Act in penalising the PIOs found guilty.

I do not find any other solution.
    Penalising??? Non fears now a days, There must be departmental proceeding as per section 20.
    In trains there is afine of Rs 200 for smoking within the Railway area and coaches.
    One gentleman was found smoking in the A?C Coach and he was fined with Rs 200/-
    after 2 Hrs, the same gentleman called the coach attender took out 200/- and paid him and told I want to smoke.
    This is the case of fine. So for Such PIOs and FAA disciplinary proceeding is the only way as per section 20(2).

Name:
    mahendra sharma
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

sir,
    today ATM is much popular and payment may be send by ATM machine, when you use SBI's ATM, you saw opp.for Donation like this the another opp. will be RTI FEES, where you can not only fees of rti application but also pay as order by PIO.
    the ATM's reciept is proof of paying amount.i hope it is user friendly mathod.
    as yr third point is very necessery to improve RTI act. when once CIC/SCIC ruled then they will applied to all similar cases . so pio not provide information if once CIC/SCIC ruled then palanty is must.

Name:
    Sunil Ahya
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    53 Post(s)
    Tagged
    7 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    124 Post(s)

Hi Mr. Dubey I think you are right, that is exactly the reason why all the developed countries uses demerit points system coupled with financial fines in case of traffic violations for erring drivers.

I suggest the same system should be devised and used for erring PIO's.

I have copy/pasted for ready reference of the members of our forum from a website about the existing system in one of the developed countries which is in Asia that is Singapore.

"All new Singapore driving licence holders are issued a one-year probationary licence, which allows up to a maximum of 12 demerit points in the year. If you exceed this, you will lose your licence. After the first year, the demerit points allowable are increased to 24 points over a 2-year period. Some of the more common demerit points are:
    Exceeding speed limit by up to 20kmh: 4
    Exceeding speed limit by more than 40kmh: 12
    Reckless driving: 12
    Using a mobile phone while driving: * NOTE * (June 2000)

Since people have not stopped using their phones while
    driving, the traffic police have decided to get tough on
    offenders. The penalty is now 12 licence points, plus a
    fine of S$1000 and/or 6 months in jail! So you are
    warned!

Failing to stop at traffic lights: 12
    Obstructing traffic flow: 4
    Failing to wear seat belt: 3

If a child below the age of 8 years old is travelling in the front seat, a safety seat and seat belt must be used. Failure to do so will result in a fine and a loss of 3 demerit points."

So if a PIO accumulates certain demerit points well !!!!

Well I also understand one thing that any number of rules can be devised, but what about honest and sincere implementation of the rules, which is where our great country has a great record.

Courtesy: ExpatSingapore - Once you're here: Once You're Here - Basic Road Rules and Regulations

Also please check the following links:
    1) speeding ticket fines and Demerit point system in Singapore | Online Tips. Tax Tips, sedu beauty tips, VOIP tips, investment tips, interview tips

2) Driving In Singapore - Home
    "A judge is a law student who marks his own examination papers." - H. L. Mencken.

Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    9 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    10 Post(s)

There just cannot be any comparison between traffic violation and rulings of PIOs.