Topic Identifier

Thread: Can I ask for samples of building contract under RTI?

1. Can I ask for samples of building contract under RTI?

I have another question:
    In my school building the Government granted contract to a local contractor, but daily I see that he is using bad cement in the construction and I believe that this will be really bad for the school. My question is can I ask for the sample of the cement being used by the contractor in the execution of the work under progress?

Early reply will be appreciated, as the work of construction is going on very fast.

2. Yes. You can ask for the information and the authority is bound to give that to you.

3. Wow! In real time. That will really help our village people. Can I also ask for the standerd of the mateiral that was approved by the government?

4. Dear Senthil,
    You can ask for the standards of material approved by the Government as well as the test report of the material used by the Contractor. You can also ask about the complete expenditure incurred on the project.

Regarding sample of cement you can not ask for as it is not an information under RTI. You can ask for the test report of the cement specimen tested by a govenment labratory.
    Last edited by maneesh; 01-10-06 at 07:32 AM.

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries

Re: Can I ask for samples of building contract under RTI?

You should seek inspection of the approved contract. Note down the specific variations in the execution. Ask the name of the Building Inspector and superior Engineer who has carried out the inspection of the works. You may also ask for inspection of the "measurement diary' or something to that effect which the Engineer records after inpection based on which payments are made. It is very easy to catch the culprit provided you have the time to spare. Go ahead. Good luck.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: Can I ask for samples of building contract under RTI?

"sample" can be taken because:

Sec 2(f) :

f)"information" means any material in any form, including records, documents, memos, e-mails, opinions, advices, press releases, circulars, orders, logbooks, contracts, reports, papers, samples, models, data material held in any electronic form and information relating to any private body which can be accessed by a public authority under any other law for the time being in force;

Sec 2(j):

<table style="line-height: 2;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr style="vertical-align: baseline;"><td style="width: 15px;">j)</td><td>"right to information" means the right to information accessible under this Act which is held by or under the control of any public authority and includes the right to— </td></tr></tbody></table><table style="line-height: 2;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr style="vertical-align: baseline;"><td style="width: 15px;">i)</td><td>inspection of work, documents, records; </td></tr></tbody></table>
    <table style="line-height: 2;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr style="vertical-align: baseline;"><td style="width: 15px;">ii)</td><td>taking notes, extracts or certified copies of documents or records;</td></tr></tbody></table>
    <table style="line-height: 2;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr style="vertical-align: baseline;"><td style="width: 15px;">iii)</td><td>taking certified samples of material; </td></tr></tbody></table>
    <table style="line-height: 2;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr style="vertical-align: baseline;"><td style="width: 15px;">iv)</td><td>obtaining information in the form of diskettes, floppies, tapes, video cassettes or in any other electronic mode or through printouts where such information is stored in a computer or in any other device;</td></tr></tbody></table>

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android