C J Karira
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)

Can one file RTI application to seek information from SIC ?

Recently, I have been reading all the decisions taken by a SIC.

From the orders/decisions posted on the internet it is very clear that:

1. Virtually no one has been penalised under RTI Act
    2. The orders which ask respondents to comply and supply information do
    not carry any final date for doing so...they only say "at the earliest"
    3. Decisions are very "lame" as compared to similar decisions taken by CIC
    or other SIC's.

Can I file a RTI application with the PIO of the SIC (if the PIO exists) and ask for the following information:

1. How many appeals filed with the SIC on a monthly basis since 1st April
    2005 ?
    2. How many of these appeals, on a monthly basis, were disposed off
    because they were incomplete or were not following the proper procedure
    as laid down in the act ?
    3. In how many instances was penalty levied against a PIO for delay in
    furnishing information ?
    4. In how many instances was penalty levied on PIO for providing incorrect,
    incomplete and misleading information ?
    5. Whether the SIC has recommended any departmental action or
    disciplinary action against a PIO or any other officer of the State for
    not complying with provisions of the RTI Act ?

Any suggestions ?

› Find content similar to: Can one file RTI application to seek information from SIC ?

Name:
    Dr. Pathak
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Re: Can one file RTI application to seek information from SIC ?

I think they all should be in the public domain by now under Section 4 of RTI Act under Proactive disclosure.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

RTI act Section 8 does not give exemption to CIC / SIC under RTI act.
    In that back ground, SIC will be covered under RTI and they have to give information.
    Kushal has already flaged the issues that they should lead the pack by way of proactive disclosure of information.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by maneesh View Post
    RTI act Section 8 does not give exemption to CIC / SIC under RTI act.
    In that back ground, SIC will be covered under RTI and they have to give information.
    Kushal has already flaged the issues that they should lead the pack by way of proactive disclosure of information.
    Maneesh and Kaushal are absolutely right. One can seek information from the CIC and SIC. I have filed similar applications with the SICs and got the reply promptly, without being asked to pay the fee for photocoping.

Manoj

Name:
    vijendra singh
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Now after 3 yrs of RTI Act ;we should seek info such as --- 1.are there some directions from govt / others prohibiting info comissions to punish the errring/guilty PIOs who denied info knowingly & not supplied in 30 days . pl give papers. 2. How many pIOs were found to be guilty by yr commission tilldate? pl give proofs. 3.how much penalty recovered after commision's order ? give proofs. 4. How much compensation awarded for mental tortures to applicants tilldate? 5. How many appellants are satisfied after cic/ sic decision ? 6. what Major Penalties awarded to how many guilty PIOs ?give proofs. Give minor penalties also.
    If many citizens will demand such info , CIC/ SIC can stop tortures of innocent CITIZENS.
    Last edited by vijendra singh; 28-07-08 at 06:09 PM.

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Till recently I have been regularly asking PIO of SIC, Kerala almost all the aspects mentioned and has been getting the required information promptly. In one case where the SIC has deliberatly evaded giving copy of his final order to me , I could get the copy through his PIO. It is different thing that he asked me to deposit additional charges of Rs.6/ and postage expenses in treasury and forward chalan . Though this is a very serious irregularity,since I was ,more keen on getting copy of the order , I had fulfilled his requirement and received the copies.
    Last edited by colnrkurup; 28-07-08 at 06:29 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Recently I has seen one Decision of W.bengal SIC , where SIC sent his decision wrt a complaint lodged against one SPIO; and where the applicant requested for personal appearance during 'Hearing". But without any hearing SIC of his own decided in favour of a SPIO ( considering available records/ fact ) and for this matter he acted as a totally biased towards the SPIO and overlooked all the relevant points raised by the complainant.Most interesting point is that one misleading 'information' furnished by the SPIO , with malafide intention received was highly praised by the SIC. Complainant simply became frustrated and was at a loss . I really do not know how to change this type of activity of SIC,the reason of this type of behaviour is only known to them. Our state is very much alert in many aspects, but till now we are yet to have any effective group of RTI activists.

Name:
    vijendra singh
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Abhijeet, Single person can never fight with the stroger one. Hence efforts of many persons are required to eliminate the dictatorships. You should gather more friends & continue to write complaints[emails] to commision, to political leaders , to PM, to Supreme court ,to NGOs etc. If u have enough time , keep on to ask yr RIGHTS. Some day u will win.