Thread: Can a lawyer be present

1. Can a lawyer be present

Hi

I had asked a question under RTI regarding investments to a public sector bank. The CPIO wrote to me that since they are not "sure what information is being sought" they have asked me to come to their office for discussions. After discussions, they will give me the copies of the documents asked for.

My query is whether I can request that a lawyer or a chartered accountant be present during such didscussions. Also can the reply be signed by the Chief Financial Advisor of the bank instead of the CPIO. The CPIO who is an engineer has told me that since he is not an expert at financial matters, he would like the reply to be sent by the CFA.

Regards and thanks

Avinash

2. Re: Can a lawyer be present

The reply under RTI has to be signed by CPIO. He may seek assistance of other officer under Section 5 (5) of RTI.

Yes for your assistance you can keep a lawyer.

By the way, you are going to get information not argue a case. Under RTI one can get only the information.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: Can a lawyer be present

Please also see the following thread:

http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/ask-rt....html#post3565