Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

Re: CIC member accused of gender bias

I wish that the Court appreciate the cituation correctly. The trend of female bureaucrates alleging sexual harrassement as a defence against inconvenient orders need curbing. If they are allowed to get away with it or suceed in creating a fear in the minds of superiors, it will become impossible for them to make justice prevail. Under any cirumstances this need checking with iron hand lest no one make such attempts.

› Find content similar to: CIC member accused of gender bias

Name:
    Devi Reddy (Dr) Paliwal
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by colnrkurup View Post
    I wish that the Court appreciate the cituation correctly. The trend of female bureaucrates alleging sexual harrassement as a defence against inconvenient orders need curbing. If they are allowed to get away with it or suceed in creating a fear in the minds of superiors, it will become impossible for them to make justice prevail. Under any cirumstances this need checking with iron hand lest no one make such attempts.
    the LAW needs to be replaced by some more benign, sensible, gender-neutral legislation that may ensure women their rightful, honorable place at home and abroad, at the same time not forgetting the rights of men.

Name:
    Atul Patankar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Ex-RPO approaches HC for enquiry against RTI Commissioner

Published at indopia.in on February 6, 2009

Former Regional Passport Officer Gloria Kumar has approached the Delhi High Court seeking direction to Chief Information Commissioner (CIC) to set up a committee to enquire into the alleged remarks of Information Commissioner O P Kejariwal against her.

Justice S Ravindra Bhat has issued notice to CIC and Kejariwal and asked them to file their response by March 24 on Kumar';s petition challenging CIC order dismissing her plea in October last year for initiation of a departmental enquiry against Kejariwal.

In April last year, while making some remarks against Kumar for rejecting an application filed by a 90-year-old woman under RTI regarding her passport, Kejariwal had slapped a fine of Rs 16,000 on the former passport officer.

Kumar alleged that she had challenged the penalty order before the High court and the court stayed the penalty. After the High Court order, she filed a complaint with the CIC for an enquiry against Kejariwal. Despite an assurance, the CIC instead of any action rejected her application in October last year, she added.

The former RPO contended that Kejariwal had overstepped his power under the Act by issuing a direction to the Ministry of External Affairs to take administrative action against her

Source : 495833 : National : Ex-RPO approaches HC for enquiry against RTI Commissioner

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)

Please also see this related thread:

http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/792-pu...-appelant.html

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Being RTI applicant we may have a tendency to judge all PIOs negatively. I am not commenting on this specific case. The charges alleged may be frivolous, or may be true.

My concern arises, what if the charges are frivolous and court finds them frivolous. Will she be made to pay the judicial costs?

Name:
    Atul Patankar
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

The matter in front of Hon. High Court is not about RTI. So actually we should not be discussiong it here.

But both the parties are part of the information network, and the subject matter of the dispute involves an appeal hearing about RTI.

Reading the other post mentioned by Karira Sir, I believe that other matters like gender and religion of the PIO are unecessarily dragged into this matter, to divert attention from main issue of denial of information. The same PIO and CIC, it seems, have already clashed in other matters. The CIC has, in an official order, charged PIO of colourable practices. If the PIO has not filed any defamation case in that matter, it seems there is some problem with functioning style of PIO.

The current suit about gender bias, about harrasment etc will be decided on merits. But if the suit proves frivolous, why should she not bear legal costs?

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)

I wish that the CIC or the High Court does not spoil the case and examine with corect perspective. One should recollect following facts:

1. The Case prima facie expose that Gloria Kumar, the former RPO appears arrogant and at fault in every respect. Her approach and treatmentof the issue fully expose it. She is trying to mislead the issue by bringing in extraneous issues.

2. The IC, Mr.CP Kejrawal has is of the opinion that Gloria Kumar has without any reasonable cause, persistently failed to furnish the information etc., etc. Once it so established, as per his opinion it is obligatory on his part to recommend for disciplinary action against the CPIO in terms of Section 20(2) of the RTI Act. The recent judgement of Karnataka High court support this view. Hence the IC has not over stepped his powers under the Act

3. The CIC is absolutely right in rejecting the complaint of Gloria Kumar against Mr.Kejrawal, as such a complaint before the CIC is defenitely not maintainable.

4. Gloria Kumar has every right to approach the High Court in such cases which she has done. I opt, not to comment on the High Court orders of stay.

In my oinion, I doubt any court will overrule the orders of the IC awarding the penalty to Gloria Kumar. I doubt whether the penalty awarded is stayed and the stay is only on initiation of departmental enquiry. Again I doubt whether any court will order prevention of any such enquiry. She may be able to fight against the outcome of the enquiry and defenitely not conduct of an enquiry. It will be interesting to know as to what are the pleas of Gloria Kumar before the High Court and particulars of the issues for which the Court has ordered stay.

It is high time for such PIOs getting punished and not allowed to get away with such allegations as done by Gloria Kumar.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)

The Delhi High Court has asked the Solicitor General of India to assist in this case:

http://courtnic.nic.in/dhcorder/dhcq...=24835&yr=2009
    Twitter: @cjkarira

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast