Thread: what happens to frivolous application under RTI?

1. what happens to frivolous application under RTI?

I just wanted to know if sombody applies for an application which is frivilous.

Can the Officer impose penality on such complaint?

2. No penalties can be imposed as of now.
    The under lying essense of RTI as contained in Preamble is

And whereas revelation of information in actual practice is likely to conflict with other public interests including efficient operations of the Governments, optimum use of limited fiscal resources and the preservation of confidentiality of sensitive information;

If the citizen goes on asking for frivilous information then one day this might be included.

3. Re: what happens to frivolous application under RTI?

no punitive action can be taken against the applicant asking for frivolous information. recently there was a discussion in this forum whether penal provisions should be introduced to check misuse of this act. in the last month i came across an application asking for voluminous information on every single aspect of administration of my institution. such people are always there; as of now, there is nothing one could do about it.