Sorry, Ganpat !

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: Presence of another person while inspecting document

Please also see the following thread:

https://www.rtiindia.org/forum/ask-rt....html#post3565

3. Re: Presence of another person while inspecting document

Mr.Avinash, though contrary opinions have been expressed. i still think that it would not be proper to have another person with you while you are inspecting documents for information. you are the applicant and you alone are entitled to inspect the documents. if you do not know the language or if you are not able to understand. the PIO may assist you. however, PIOs in most of the offices are not full time information officers they are doing this as an additional responsibility along with their regular work. you may however bring another person if that is okayed by PIO. the act is not very clear on this point.

4. Re: Presence of another person while inspecting document

During inspection of records and also in course of 1st appeal hearing I always assisted the applicant. Only once I was not allowed to say anything in support of the applicant during hearing; otherwise I did not face any difficulty. I had represented
    4 hearings on behalf of RTI applicants with a letter of authorisation.

5. Re: Presence of another person while inspecting document

I do not understand the logic behind the assertion by PA that you cannot take anyone with you. You have the right to inspect and make copies of the documents. Then you are free to show the documents to anyone you like.

CIC has ruled that the requester of records can take video tape, or copies of the document by any method available to him. So you can take a digital camera with you and take photos of the documents. Then you can show the photos, which will be legible, to anyone you like.

You may want to take a copy of the CIC ruling with you, and take a digital camera with you.

6. Gupta ji,

You are 100% correct. So PIO's should allow the applicants and his advsors/advocates without any objections.

rakatkam.

murthy sir,

I think PIO's should allow the advisors and advocates accompaning for file inspections, as we many times cannot interpret the decisions, rullings etc., hence as an advisor who totally help the applicant in all aspects as the applicants totally can believe his advisor rather than the person appointed by PIO for assistant.

Hope you will understand and agree with me.

rakatkam.

7. Re: Presence of another person while inspecting document

rakatkamji, personally as a PIO, i would not object to the presence of 'advisers' just one or two persons with the applicant; the presence of a lawyer may be intimidating; leaving aside personal opinions, does the RTI act provide for advisers and accompanying persons while collecting information, either expressly or by implication? i appeal to our members to enlighten me.

Re: Presence of another person while inspecting document

In the absence of any specific provision in the Act for allowing any third person for inspection of files, every case has to be decided on its merits. While doing so the main aim of the Act viz. ensuring transparency and accountability should be kept in mind. I dont think there can be an universal rule for this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android