Thread: Insuring an important letter, before sending it by Post?? !

1. Insuring an important letter, before sending it by Post?? !

Hi all,

If there is anybody here with Postal departments, please answer this.
    If one wants to send an important letter by post or speed post or the courier services offered by post offices, can the letter be insured and sent? I read somewhere that this is possible.
    If so, please elaborate me, how could this be helpful.

Thanks.

Last edited by Latha Ramesh; 30-05-07 at 11:25 AM.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: Insuring an important letter, before sending it by Post?? !

Latha,
    Although I am not in the postal department, but, yes letters and parcels can be insured before sending them by post.
    You will be asked to declare the details & value of the contents.
    The Post Office will inform you about the insurance charge and issue you a recpt for payment.
    For further details please see:
    Welcome to the Indiapost Web Site

3. Re: Insuring an important letter, before sending it by Post?? !

Thanks Karira,

But tell me, under what all circumstances this could be useful?
    I understand for parcels containing valuables, insurance is necessary. But otherwise for letters, when would a need arise for insuring?

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

For important letters like agreements, title deeds, etc. you do require insurance.
    Although if you send letters by Registered post or Speed Post there is proof of delivery, but no compensation.
    If you insure, you get compensation upto the decalred value.

5. Re: Insuring an important letter, before sending it by Post?? !

The best advantage is that your need to seal the letter/parcel, and that insures the safe delivery, if the seal is broken, you should accept an open delivery and the onus lies with the Postal department.

Further, all insured letters and parcels are covered by another bag/envelope called as the protective cover. Thus you actually completely transfer the responsibility to the Post.

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries

Caution: When you send a valueable item after insuring to someone who is not well aware of the system please try to inform the addressee in advance sending a sample of your seal with instruction to check and ensure that they are not tampered when received. Inform him to take open delivery when it isfound tampered or damaged giving the full details of its contents especially the value aspect. This will make the insurance claim very easy.
    Last edited by colnrkurup; 07-10-07 at 11:28 AM.

7. Re: Insuring an important letter, before sending it by Post?? !

This is good information friends.

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android