Topic Identifier

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RTI Section 26: Public Awareness and Educational Programmes

1. RTI Section 26: Public Awareness and Educational Programmes

Dear RTI Group Members,

Section 25 of RTI requires the Central and State Governments to develop and organize educational programmes to
    advance the understanding of the public, particularly the disadvantaged, to exercise right to information. We all are aware that NGOs like Parivartan, NCPRI and a few others have done some commendable work in this direction.

Can we as a group in association with the HGOs other like minded groups persudae the Government to take a lead in this direction?

Agarwalas

2. Re: RTI Section 26: Public Awareness and Educational Programmes

Quote Originally Posted by agarwalas View Post
    Can we as a group in association with the HGOs other like minded groups persudae the Government to take a lead in this direction?

Kabir, an NGO from Delhi is already doing a program on RTI which appears on DD News at 10.30 am every Saturday. A few other NGOs are also doing similar outreach based programs funded by the Government.

There is no bar in you doing the same. Just identify the PA you wish to join your program and also provide suitable funding and infrastructure, maybe you can do a wonderful job.

3. Re: RTI Section 26: Public Awareness and Educational Programmes

Thanks for your comments and suggestions. Yes, Kabir has done an excellent job.

I am planning to develop contents in digital format for an Online Awareness Program on RTI for the professionals and people. My findings is that concerted efforts have not been made to create an awareness of the provisions of RTI for it to become an effective instrument of change. I believe that if the professionals are made aware that access to information is empowerment, employment of RTIs will grow nationwide. This is possible if we have a well designed content delivered through a web-based interactive platform.

4. Re: RTI Section 26: Public Awareness and Educational Programmes

Our endeavor is same and let us know if there is something you want to be added to this site for online awareness; we would be happy to do that.

5. Re: RTI Section 26: Public Awareness and Educational Programmes

Thanks for your offer. I will be in touch.

Agarwalas

6. Re: RTI Section 26: Public Awareness and Educational Programmes

Quote Originally Posted by agarwalas View Post
    My findings is that concerted efforts have not been made to create an awareness of the provisions of RTI for it to become an effective instrument of change. I believe that if the professionals are made aware that access to information is empowerment, employment of RTIs will grow nationwide.
    Maybe you can try to approach the local newpaper to devote a special RTI column. Same with the FM Radio channel. A regular dose of RTI related information and success stories are a sure way to create awareness and cover the grounds you mentioned above.

You can also make a condition to anybody you help file an RTI Application, is that they in turn should make at least five other persons also file an RTI Application. Just imagine how many people you can reach.

Manoj

7. Re: RTI Section 26: Public Awareness and Educational Programmes

Thanks for your suggestions.

We all agree that Section 26 of RTI requires the Central and State Governments to develop and organize educational programmes to advance the understanding of the public, particularly the disadvantaged, to exercise right to information.

Electronic media has not been employed effectively by Central and State Government to advance RTI effectively. This is evident if you browse the websites of the SCIC's. For example Bihar does not have any information. Some of them do not have a email id and website. On one hand Government is going in for eGovernance in a big way and SCIC's are not connected.

I have sent emails to four SCIC's by name but have had no response for well over ten days.

Have a look at the profile of the SCIC's. It will give you some very interesting background.

Agarwalas
    Agarwalas

8. Re: RTI Section 26: Public Awareness and Educational Programmes

good idea. can we request govt. agencies i.e. mhrd, law ministry, labour ministry and dopt to intimate actions initiated by them to promote awareness on rti act among peoples of india as envisaged in section 26.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android