Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Retd Colonel beaten up, held

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Retd Colonel beaten up, held

<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" width="450"><tbody><tr><td class="news"><table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0" height="180" width="530"><tbody><tr><td class="news" colspan="2" valign="top">... while exposing corruption at Sub Registrar's office

Ex-Army officer and Mahavir Chakra recipient Colonel Tejendra Pal Singh Tyagi sustained grave injuries and also fractured his leg when he made an attempt to expose corruption in the Sub-Registrar's office at Ghaziabad on Friday. Tyagi and his colleagues from the Rashtriya Sainik Morcha were beaten up by Government employees and practising deed writers and lawyers in the Tehsil court compound.
    </td></tr></tbody></table></td></tr><tr><td class="news" colspan="2" valign="top">
    </td></tr><tr><td class="news" colspan="2" valign="top">The Colonel and his associates were arrested and an FIR was lodged against them for looting cash from the State treasury. The administration, instead of taking action against the erring Government employees, has taken action against the crusader, after the erring employees went on a flash strike.
    </td></tr><tr><td class="news" colspan="2" valign="top">
    </td></tr><tr><td class="news" colspan="2" valign="top">A cross FIR has also been lodged by the injured Colonel, but no Government employee has been arrested so far while the Colonel and his associates are languishing in jail.
    </td></tr><tr><td class="news" colspan="2" valign="top">
    </td></tr><tr><td class="news" colspan="2" valign="top">Colonel Tejendra Pal Singh Tyagi and his organisation - Rashtriya Sainik Morcha - have been fighting on various issues of social importance including pollution, water problem, traffic hazards and other issues. The Colonel was accompanied by his Indian National Army (INA) jawans and officials. At 11.30 am, when the Colonel started addressing audience in the compound, a group of employees dragged him from the stage and started beating him.</td></tr></tbody></table>

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: Retd Colonel beaten up, held

Yesterday, my better-half also "warned" me that if I took some of my RTI applications to their logical conclusion, I would be beaten up !

3. Re: Retd Colonel beaten up, held

Quote Originally Posted by karira View Post
    Yesterday, my better-half also "warned" me that if I took some of my RTI applications to their logical conclusion, I would be beaten up !
    These kind of things are expected. When a soldier goes to war, he does to defend his country and die for it. He does not back out. The same logic applies to RTI Applicants.

4. Re: Retd Colonel beaten up, held

This is one of the Government offices where corruption is widespread. The situation is same at each and every sub-registrar office. Though the Government has put in a guidance value and people take all valid and correct documents for registration, registration does not happen until
    a few thousands of rupees are given as bribe.

There should be some mechanism to do some paper scrutiny before
    it goes to the sub-registrar's office for registration.

The going rate of bribe in U.P. is 2&#37; of the value of the property. Million of rupees are made by the currupt officers. The deed writers also are a party to it and get a cut out of that.

In this case the officers provided their indirect support by registering FIR against the injured person fighting corruption and injustice. The Govt. Employees are united and are supported by Deed writers and advocates. There is no platform where a common man can register his sufferings and inhuman treatment mated to him.

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries

I saw this posting only to-day. Though this is has no direct relation with RTI, I am sorry to state that the plight of Retired soldiers is misserable in India. If the above is the plight of a Retired Colonel, one can imagine the state of less fortunate jawans. Recently, our Hon'ble Defence Minister after much research has associated the reason for hundreds of serving soldiers committing suicide to " STRESS FACTOR " A soldier accumulate lot of problems from back home due to corruption of bureaucrates in depriving their land rights. The blunt of the problem is faced when they reach home back on retirement though its impending implication on retirement make them stress-prone while in service and often tend to make them commit even suicide. This problem can never be solved without the cooperation of the State Governments in general and the District Collectors in particular. In so far as the District Collectors are concerned many of them even deny the ex-servicemen an opportunity for being herd to show the documentary evidence of damage of corruption inflictedomn them . The politicians does not have any association with the soldiers as they were not part of their vote bank during their army service.
    "A Nation that does not remember those who expended their youth for its honor cannot always remain a nation worth dying for"

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

colnrkurup,

Completely agree with your views.

I want to share the following with you:

About 3 months ago, a member of this forum asked me to help him in drafting a RTI application.

The case was about a sister of a Army Officer martyred during the Kargil conflict. The Govt. of Punjab had promised the next of kin a job. A job was identified in a Corporation of the state government as a Asst. Librarian. The Chief Secretary of Punjab wrote 5 letters and reminders to the concerned department to issue a appointment letter to the lady. But nothing happened.

Several RTI applications revealed that after the 3rd letter by the Chief Secretary, another lady had been appointed as a Asst. Librarian. The lady who was appointed was a relative of the Chairman of the corporation, who happens to be a very prominent Congress party leader in Punjab.

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries

We should realise one cannot blame the government in all cases. In case of officers killed in war, normally nothing is refuced to the legl heirs. Is the sister refered to is married ? Was she dependent on the officer asper his service records ? Was the officer married ? If so why does not his widow make any claim. ? Lot of frauds do happens in such cases. In such cases one has to make thorough scrutiny. I had found that normally the dependents of those especially officers were not deprived of any of their rights. In the case of sister's claim I suggest to go into little depth before fighting it out. Please do not believe the words of sister alone. If you really want to help, please meet the officer's wife or mother first and find out what are they got.

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

colnrkurup,

What you say is true......unfortunately many frauds do happen in our country.

In this case, the Officer was not married, his mother had predeceased him and his sister is also unmarried (although elder to the Officer).

I have had a running battle with Government staff and Officers for the last 2 years and have decided that no matter what, I will help everyone in using RTI, whether they are citizens or Officers. The Prime Minister may call me a "RTI Middleman" or the BMC corporators and executives may term me as a "serial RTI applicant" but I will continue to spend all my spare time, effort and many times, my own money, to help people use RTI effectively.

During this process, if I happen to help some frauds, so be it. After all, even the fraudsters have the right to information.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android