Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Right to information and obligations of public authorities including SCIC

1. Right to information and obligations of public authorities including SCIC

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=7 width=499 border=1><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top height=143>
    4. (1) Every public authority shall—
    a) maintain all its records duly catalogued and indexed in a manner and the form which facilitates the right to information under this Act and ensure that all records that are appropriate to be computerised are, within a reasonable time and subject to availability of resources, computerised and connected through a network all over the country on different systems so that access to such records is facilitated;
    </TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Which authority one can make a representation to ensure that SCIC's comply with the provisison of Section 4[1] of RTI Act 2005?

2. Re: Right to information and obligations of public authorities including SCIC

Do you want to get the information from SCIC? And are you actually asking for the proactive disclosure form SCIC itself?

3. Re: Right to information and obligations of public authorities including SCIC

As SCIC is not making available the information, I am actually asking for the proactive disclosure form SCIC itself.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

4. Re: Right to information and obligations of public authorities including SCIC

Quote Originally Posted by agarwalas View Post
    As SCIC is not making available the information, I am actually asking for the proactive disclosure form SCIC itself.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->
    Yes, you are right many of the SCICs are not making available their information on the websites. Further some of them dont have their own website.

A few like the Gujarat State SIC has a well designed site and put up their decision on the same day. Even some of the North Eastern SICs like Nagaland shows signs of improvement lately.

Manoj

5. Re: Right to information and obligations of public authorities including SCIC

Thanks. Do you agree that SCIC should also come under the perview of RTI Act 2005?

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: Right to information and obligations of public authorities including SCIC

The RTI Act 2005 does not exempt CIC or SIC from the Act.
    They have to have a PIO.
    In fact, if you visit the CIC website (CIC) there are several proactive disclosures amde under the Act. Please see:

http://www.cic.gov.in/RTI-Disclosure...Disclosure.pdf

those are disclosures as mandated under Section 4 of the act.

The following thread might also be of interest to you:

http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/ask-rt...ation-sic.html

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Re: Right to information and obligations of public authorities including SCIC

Agarwalas,

You have rightly quoted Section 4, 1 a.
    Please also look at Section 4, 4:

4.All materials shall be disseminated taking into consideration the cost effectiveness, local language and the most effective method of communication in that local area and the information should be easily accessible, to the extent possible in electronic format with the Central Public Information Officer or State Public Information Officer, as the case may be, available free or at such cost of the medium or the print cost price as may be prescribed.

As per the above, my view is that SCIC's have to put up their decisions in electronic format (they cannot argue that information in paper form is more easily "searchable" than in electronic form). Go for it.

8. Re: Right to information and obligations of public authorities including SCIC

I have sent an email to CIC asking for his views. I have had no response thus far. I am planning to write to Secreatry Ministry of Law for his views, in case I do not receive a response by end of this month.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast