Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cost of providing information?

I had asked for the information from an department, however, the department asked me to deposit 3000/- which included Rs.300/- for the print out/photocopy and additional charges as the information is not readily available and they have to hire some people to compile the information.

I am not sure if that is allowed and should I pay only 300/-?

› Find content similar to: Cost of providing information?

Name:
    Dr. Pathak
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

Re: Cost of providing information?

Very important question:

The cost of providing information may include certain additional expenses that one would have to incur other than the fees. One has to make additional payment if the organisation has to engage people overtime to provide the information sought. The organization may have to get material from somewhere else for which, of course, the person asking for the information has to pay.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Just a query: If I do not pay for that?

Name:
    Dr. Pathak
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

if you do not agree, then of course, the information cannot be provided.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

ok! Thank for the information.

One more question:
    If I agree to pay the amount, will the information would still be provided in 30 days as originally mentioned.

Name:
    Dr. Pathak
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    16 Post(s)

The period spent in asking to pay that and the time that you takes to reply is exempted from the time limit.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thank you for the great information Kushal. And with this I mark the 3000th post of the RTI India.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Quote Originally Posted by kushal View Post
    One has to make additional payment if the organisation has to engage people overtime to provide the information sought. The organization may have to get material from somewhere else for which, of course, the person asking for the information has to pay.
    I am afraid this is not correct and also not in conformity with the Act. The main reason for the period fixed at 30 days is that its enought time for any PA to access and retrive the information. Remember, even before the RTI Act was implemented certain norms and guidlines were already laid for this purpose.

The PIO will have to justify the exact nature of the additional costs. Overtime is just not a justified! Neither is getting the material from elsewhere. In that case they can transfer the application under Section 6(3).

Manoj

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast