Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: few burning aspects of RTI

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

few burning aspects of RTI

Respected sir;
    I am a student and presently pursuing Economics in my UG course.
    I wanted to about some burning questions on RTI. I wd be oblized if you can find
    the questions worthy and give yr feedback in full detail:

(a):how to create awareness about RTI among all levels of the society(i.e from
    humble ones to middle man to rich society)?Give some pts and steps that need to
    taken to make it reachable to each one.(like.advertising or...)

(b)And How can we make our RTI powerful and effective ?i.e. what measures we sd take
    so that we make sure that those practising wrong are virtually trapped?

(
    </pre>

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I think this is very pertinent question but not with simple answer. When in our Indian society we are still not able to percolate the 2 drops campaign for pulse polio with so much of media involvement, WHO, international funding, its really hard to see RTI reaching to full masses in the coming time.

However, NGO, Media can all help to narrow the gap.

RTI will not be actually trapping people, but making them more accountable and transparent. Every govt orgaization will know that people are watching and will act responsibly.

As the trend is people are using RTI to get their work done, rather then exposing or asking for 'public interest'. There need to be some body from within the Govt. who knows what is going on in the department in details, and they should be given the onus to ask the question.

Also any decision taken should be on web, or open at a place. Why should somebody go and ask the information. If the information is not classified there is no need to let people ask and then the department replies.

I think it should be made conpulsory for the departments to publise their documents in the net. It has already been floated by the CIC, but not followed in spirit. I can only find the list of all PIO of only Postal deparment, why not others?

I would suggest RTI India Portal should collect all the information and put it here so that one needs to come here only to get all information.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by crusader View Post
    I think this is very pertinent question but not with simple answer. When in our Indian society we are still not able to percolate the 2 drops campaign for pulse polio with so much of media involvement, WHO, international funding, its really hard to see RTI reaching to full masses in the coming time.
    Unless the massess realise there participation in the governannce process it cannot be percolating down to last level. In democracy, it is said its "rule by the people".

RTI will not be actually trapping people, but making them more accountable and transparent. Every govt orgaization will know that people are watching and will act responsibly.
    Very rightly said the aims is to bring accountablity and transperacy.

As the trend is people are using RTI to get their work done, rather then exposing or asking for 'public interest'. There need to be some body from within the Govt. who knows what is going on in the department in details, and they should be given the onus to ask the question.
    Again the right to ask question is suggested to be given to some one within the governemnt. I wonder, if that happend there may be circumstances, where a seperate act will be required for them as well.

I believe RTI is still evolving and its a great tool. Citizen should used this great tool with caution and sincerity and apply test of public interest before asking for any information. As mind less misue will result in some amendment which will make a little difficult to obtain justified information.

I would suggest RTI India Portal should collect all the information and put it here so that one needs to come here only to get all information.
    We welcome such step but for we need dedicated volutneers like you.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

there are so many laws which have not been implemented in spirit. The same way we are witnessing the path of RTI implementation. Govt staff are making use of this act to further their careers, transfers etc,to fight court cases by seeking confidential information under this act. IN organisations almost 50% information seekers are departmental employees.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My suggestions:

• The general contempt law under IPC is presently used, there should be a clause providing for contempt proceedings within the Act in case of non-compliance of the CIC directions be included in the law.
    • There should be encouragement for introducing a concept of 'Whistle blower'. There is a need to ensure privacy, especially if the person is a whistle blower. It is a matter of his or her security
    • There should be an autonomous body for research and development in the field of RTI which will help in evolution of RTI in India. This forum can also work as an R&D for the Act.
    • There should be autonomous body as suggested by crusader from within the organisation which will help out bring right cases under 'public domain', and not just individual cases.
    • I really do not know about this; but there should be no pressure on CIC from the Government.
    These measures will in fact boast and trickle down the phenominon to the grass root level.

From the grass root level:
    • There should be a regular column in the newspaper about this issue.
    • Each department should organize workshops and ask people to come out. This I think is important department wise because talking generally will never make common man aware about individual department. The workshop will tell what can be asked from the particular department.
    • All PIO's in the district should meet and conduct seminars and and discuss about the ways to open up.
    • All the cases which are recieved at the PIO, should be publicized and put up for display for public to see and even they should be discussed at workshops.
    • All public distribution system to the field area should contain a slogan about this right of people.

Name:
    Shrawan
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    3 Thread(s)

As this thread is very important and requires more of general discussions I am moving this to 'RTI General Discussions' from 'Ask for RTI support'.

Great suggestions by trueblue

True blue, you had given great suggestion.

• There should be encouragement for introducing a concept of 'Whistle blower'. There is a need to ensure privacy, especially if the person is a whistle blower. It is a matter of his or her security
      The whistle blowing concept should be popularized, and the complete protection to them should be extended apart from privacy.
    • I really do not know about this; but there should be no pressure on CIC from the Government.
      I agree there should not be pressure. However, as the Act get strengthened, it will then create more pressure. Also the day CIC start punishing the officers, it will build the pressure. So the real litmus test of sustaining pressure will come after that time.
    • There should be a regular column in the newspaper about this issue.
      Yes, the media can play much greater role. There should also be endorsement from cricketers and Film personalities.
    I also think that big cases should be highlighted and especially those which involved the big public interest. As mentioned previously, mostly the cases now are personal matters. It should be more of larger public interest or else the RTI will become an intrument of harrasement and settling score and will loose its sheen.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Quote Originally Posted by smnislam View Post
    there are so many laws which have not been implemented in spirit. The same way we are witnessing the path of RTI implementation. Govt staff are making use of this act to further their careers, transfers etc,to fight court cases by seeking confidential information under this act. IN organisations almost 50% information seekers are departmental employees.
    You are right smnislam that if you see the statistics of infomration seeker its montly government employees but i believe its a phenomea which will go away once the act mature. In my opinion, the act should be allowed to be matured with wider contribution from society and not by curbing it unilaterally.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook RSS Feed Apple App Store Google Play for Android