Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)

Infosys' affirmative action yields results

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=450 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=headline>Infosys' affirmative action yields results</TD></TR><TR><TD class=news><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=450 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=news>
    Rajeev Ranjan Roy | New Delhi
    </TD></TR><TR><TD class=news vAlign=top colSpan=2>
    76 company-trained SC/ST graduates land in top IT firms

Infosys chief NR Narayana Murthy has done what the other business houses might not have yet thought to do. The leading Bangalore-based IT firm has trained 100 SC/ST graduates and post-graduates, out of which 76 students have already got placement in the country's leading IT and other firms.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD></TR><TR><TD class=news vAlign=top colSpan=2>

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=news vAlign=top colSpan=2>Union Social Justice and Empowerment Minister Meira Kumar is going to attend their convocation ceremony scheduled for Saturday in Bangalore. "It is an excellent affirmative job done by Infosys. Other business houses should also come forward and emulate what Murthy has done. It is a great success story," Kumar said on Monday.

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=news vAlign=top colSpan=2>The successful training of 100 SC/ST students and a major chunk of them getting absorbed in top corporate houses of the country comes as a major boost to the on-going process of affirmative action from the industries to enable the weaker sections in joining the societal mainstream.

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=news vAlign=top colSpan=2>Since Murthy tasked the Ministry to identify 100 graduates and post-graduates, the task was onerous indeed. After the identification was completed, Murthy asked for only the first divisioners. "We somehow managed, though with great difficulty. Today we could see the happy results of our efforts, and hope the industries would take such initiatives on their own," Kumar said.

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=news vAlign=top colSpan=2>According to her, all the 100 students went through rigorous training for six months at the total expenses of Infosys. "As many as 89 of them cleared the internal tests, and 76 of them have got jobs in top companies of the country. It shows how such affirmative action could be effective if implemented seriously," she said.

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=news vAlign=top colSpan=2>The idea to train 100 SC/ST students was mooted during a meeting between Kumar and Murthy, when the latter called on her to discuss affirmative action and quota for Dalits in the private sector. The Minister convinced her to take some concrete affirmative measures. "It was a pilot project and Infosys would love to continue with it," she said.

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=news vAlign=top colSpan=2>In order to discharge philanthropic responsibilities, Murthy set up Infosys Foundation in December 1996 with the objective of fulfilling the social responsibility of the company by supporting and encouraging the underprivileged sections of society. It has undertaken a large rural education programme titled 'A Library For Every School' under which over 5,500 libraries have been set up in Government schools across many villages in the country.

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=news vAlign=top colSpan=2>The Ministry officials, however, bemoan that none of other business houses matching the reputation of Infosys has come forward with any effective proposal of affirmative action. "All hype over affirmative action from the industry houses has proved hollow," an official said.

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=news vAlign=top colSpan=2>"Unless quality training and exposure is provided to the meritorious among SC/ST students, they cannot compete with others to make their way into the private sector. The industry houses could compensate the quota in private sector through comprehensive and result-oriented affirmative action plan. Simple training and skill development would not do," the official added.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

› Find content similar to: Infosys' affirmative action yields results

Name:
    Rahul verma
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Re: Infosys' affirmative action yields results

Hi Karira,

First of all, I want to thank you for all the helpful and informative posts that are there in this forum from you.

But today, I am here at this Infosys post and I do not see how that is related to RTI?

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)

Rahul,

Thanks for your comments.
    It is posted in the "Chit-Chat" section.
    If I remember correctly, there was some RTI related news story about "reservations" on that day and since this was totally contrary to the that news story, I just posted it.

Name:
    Rahul verma
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Oh ok, I was wondering whether it is possible to get information from Infosys also using RTI

Not everything inside Infosys seems to be what comes in the newspapers, the newspaper said its ethics first but insiders tell a different story:

http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/2606-i...ics-first.html

Regards

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    14 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    168 Post(s)

Rahul,

This portal has evolved over time.
    In the initial days, it did not have so many members so we also had a "jokes" section to lighten up the mood.

Over time, after the portal has got more members and registrations have reached 100 per day, you find less and less posts about non-RTI issues.

Name:
    Rahul verma
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Karira,

Actually I also think over a period of time people have realised that RTI is serious business and they keep jokes separate from serious talk.

I have been on this portal since a few months now (silently learning), today is the first time I came across a non-RTI post, and hence was curious.

Also, the other post I was referring to about Infosys Ethics made me think whether Infosys comes under the RTI ambit. (So that the unethical practices happening at the most respectable company of India can be exposed).

Name:
    J.P. SHAH
    Blog Entries
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    9 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    62 Post(s)

It takes each of us to make difference for all of us.

Name:
    Anil Verma
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Thanks JSP for the link.

Allow me to explain the situation. There is an employee of Infosys who is working for their client Pfizer in Connecticut USA. The employee secured a job with Infosys using false work experience letters.

I raised the issue with Infosys but they refuse to take any action (possibly because the employee is on a billable project and the company is making money).

Under such scenario what do you think I can do?

Thanks.
    Anil

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook youtube Tumblr RTI Microblog RSS Feed Apple App Store Google Play for Android