Thread: Computers are playthings in Secretariat

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

Computers are playthings in Secretariat

Computers are playthings in Secretariat

Hyderabad, June 19: Many Secretariat employees are happily playing ‘Bridge’ and ‘Chess’ on the hundreds of computers purchased as part of the online file tracking system introduced by the previous Telugu Desam government. With the Congress government dispensing with the online file tracking system, the computers have become playthings for the staff. Scanners and other machinery purchased along with the computers are gathering dust in storerooms.

The online file tracking system or CaringGOV was launched in 2003 and was meant to automate the workflow of the Secretariat by eliminating delay in processing files. It was also meant to bring accountability and transparency by making sure that files were processed online and procedures explained. This application was made accessible to all 36 departments in the Secretariat through local area network and covered 2,155 users. "Employees were reluctant to scan and upload thick files which had lot of papers," said Secretary (Information Technology) Shailendra Kumar Joshi.

It is learnt that employees in several departments deliberately stopped using the online network to make it go flaccid. E-governance assessing agency Infotech studied this project in 2004 and said it had changed the work culture of the Secretariat. The agency gave it 61.87 marks out of 100, which means ‘good’. But it was obviously not good enough for the employees. Or maybe it was too good for them.

City News

2. Re: Computers are playthings in Secretariat

No one can stop in inflow of technology in our lives. Those things they can will get fossilized sooner than they think.

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries

Re: Computers are playthings in Secretariat

Please come to Kerala if anyone want to see the innumerable computers in every office, open the computer to see the Kerala official web cites promptly displayed in the web,including hundreds of e-mail addresses of almost all senior officials from District Collectors upwards, MPs, Ministers etc. One can even find a cite oon IT Policy of government promissing everything. I have been trying most of the e-mail address sincelast one year. I am yet toget an e-mail reply except 3 cases. Even the e-mail to His Excellency the Governor of Kerala bounce. How do you like it ?

4. Re: Computers are playthings in Secretariat

A perfect raw material to use RTI Act to further good governance. Why don't you ask under RTI about dys-functional emails of officers and also the log of frequency of logins by them?

Name:
    C J Karira
    Blog Entries

colnrkurup,

It seems that a organisation called "Centre for Development of Imaging Technology (C-DIT)" is running the websites and administering them for the Govt. of Kerala.

The website (official website of C-DIT-Center for Development of Imaging Technology) clearly states:

C-DIT is now a major pillar of support to the Government of Kerala, thus earning the coveted position of ‘Total Service Provider’ of the Government.

Further, on the webpage official website of C-DIT-Center for Development of Imaging Technology it is clearly stated:

BRIEF HISTORY
    Centre for Development of Imaging Technology (C-DIT) is an organization established in 1988 by the Government of Kerala for advancement of research, development and training in imaging technology with an implied role in socially relevant science & development communication.

It seems clear that C-DIT can be classified as a Public Authority as defined under the RTI Act 2005.

Their servers will be maintaining data about the frequency of officers and others accessing their official email id's.

You can make a RTI Application to C-DIT and ask for the following information:

1. List of all officers in Kerala who have email id's on websites maintained by C-DIT
    2. How many of these email id's are actually working
    3. The log-in of those officers (you can either pick names of officers at random or use names of those officers who have not replied to your emails) over the last XXXX months.
    Day wise break up and number of log ins into the email account per day.
    4. How long were the officers logged in into the official email account every day for each log in session.

The other organisation from whom you can also try toget this information is:

Official website of Information Kerala Mission

6. Re: Computers are playthings in Secretariat

Quote Originally Posted by karira View Post
    Many Secretariat employees are happily playing ‘Bridge’ and ‘Chess’ on the hundreds of computers purchased as part of the online file tracking system introduced by the previous Telugu Desam government.
    Were I the disciplinary authority, I would have initiated action against these under the CCS(CCA) Rules as well as the Prime Minister's own order of 1982, that Governmnent Employees must not play cards in office. The original order simply spells out "playing cards". So this would hold good to even those being played on the PC including the many card games that come bundled with the MS Windows

Howzaat

Name:
    Col NR Kurup (Retd)
    Blog Entries

I have been after the Kerala IT Mission. They have given quite afew clarifications and sent me one of their publiccations free of cost. Their prompt reply indicated their helplessness. They also directed me to C-DIT. On finding very poor response and even absence of any email address of C-DIT to interact with them I did not bother them so far. On your suggestion, I will explore that field now. I had taken up the issue with the Hon'ble Chief Minister who has confirmed that all the e-mails arebeing received by the addressee regularly; but they may not be responding. You might have noticed some of interaction comments with the IT Mission. Anyway, now I shall explore C-DIT. Thank you onceagain.

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook Apple App Store Google Play for Android