• RTI For beginner - A simple format

Most of the citizens of India are now aware of the tool called RTI. But how many of us have actually filed an RTI Application ?

It is observed that most of the people who need some significant public information are afraid to file an RTI Application just because they do not know "How to start". First we must understand that RTI Application is actually a set of questions that we are asking the Public Information Officer and so, it does not have to be in a very specific formal format. This means that, to file your first RTI, you must do the following :

Step 1 :- Prepare a list of questions. Make sure that you have numbered your questions.

Step 2 :- Insert an introductory text which can be like a letter. It can contain some general text like - Respected Sir, Kindly provide me the following information... folowed by your questions.

Step 3 :- Insert a footer after the questions. Here you should specify the serial number of the Postal Order which you have used as application fee. Footer can contain information regarding whether the information sought is public information. Or, whether you are a concerned party and you can also specify a reason for asking for this information (optional). Conclude your letter with your signature.

Step 4 :- Like any other letter, you can put a subject line stating Request for information under Right to information act 2005

Step 5:- Add the From and To fields appropriately.

Using a paper clip, attach the postal order with your letter and put it in the envelope. Needless to say, write the address of the addressee on the envelope.

Your RTI Application format is ready. This will of course be modified according to the information sought.
      This article was originally published in blog: RTI For beginner - A simple format started by swatigoyal
      Comments 42 Comments
        vkgarg -
        Sure it would help to the beginner.
        rajsaran2009 -
        Right kind of information for a beginner
        Jagat Kishore Sharma -
        I have drafted an RTI application. Wish to know if the same is satisfactor or needs correction.
        sumitsood -
        Hello Mr. sharma,
        I read your case and it seems like as my case

How could i ask to get mutation copies of plot which was situated in agriculture land as per the given khasra numbers.

and secondly i have sale deed which has registered in 1974 at delhi.but i dont have any map of above mentioned plot ,,, but it was mentioned there in sale deed as plot no 129 along with passages size and left and right plot numbers as well.
        so it believes that property dealer had approved the colony during that time so where could he submitted that map for taking approval ofcolony at that time
        and how and to whom i should ask for that map under the RTI act.
        please help me out !!!

[QUOTE=Jagat Kishore Sharma;163012]I have drafted an RTI application. Wish to know if the same is satisfactor or needs correction.
        sujaysan -
        Quote Originally Posted by vkgarg View Post
        Sure it would help to the beginner.
        Good article . Surely a stepping stone for beginners. Would appreciate more such articles from the author.
        pmgskjha -
        Surely, it will be very helpful to have better guidelines for the beginner.
        Bimal Kumar Khemani -
        As per rules the Indian Postal order should be made payable to THE ACCOUNTS OFFICER of the concerned Public Authority
        lakshit -
        am from j&k@ new in this ...explain me whole indian postal order (i.e fee) .?/
        ....rti letter at which address to be sent......!

is all the rti letters are sent at atthat address

Home Secretary
        Ministry of Home Affairs - Gov’t of India
        North Block
        New Delhi. 110001
        karira -
        Quote Originally Posted by lakshit View Post
        am from j&k@ new in this ...explain me whole indian postal order (i.e fee) .?/
        ....rti letter at which address to be sent......!

is all the rti letters are sent at atthat address

Home Secretary
        Ministry of Home Affairs - Gov’t of India
        North Block
        New Delhi. 110001
        Are you applying for information to the Home Ministry ?
        If yes, you have to follow the Central RTI Rules and Fees.
        These are available in the Guide segment: Guide

Your RTI application has to be sent to the relevant PIO of the Home Ministry.
        Details are available here: http://www.mha.nic.in/pdfs/CPIOs-080211.xls

Read the other articles in the Guide section of the portal.
        Jagat Kishore Sharma -
        Quote Originally Posted by sumitsood View Post
        Hello Mr. sharma,
        I read your case and it seems like as my case

How could i ask to get mutation copies of plot which was situated in agriculture land as per the given khasra numbers.

and secondly i have sale deed which has registered in 1974 at delhi.but i dont have any map of above mentioned plot ,,, but it was mentioned there in sale deed as plot no 129 along with passages size and left and right plot numbers as well.
        so it believes that property dealer had approved the colony during that time so where could he submitted that map for taking approval ofcolony at that time
        and how and to whom i should ask for that map under the RTI act.
        please help me out !!!
        Dear Friend,

I am sorry to say that I am a novice and unable to guide u. That some encrachment was being done on a plot opposite to our house, and unable to decide how to stop it on legal grounds, i sought the help of RTI Platform to write the Application. It is now above a month and no responce has been received from the PIO. I am sending a reminder before I make a Second Appeal. If I get the responce I will inform u/post it.
        With regards,
        Jagat

xxx@yyy.zzz - Deleted email id - posting against forum rules
        nmayilsamy -
        why should RTI application contain the reasons.... this is pure misguiding the users of this forum...
        nmayilsamy -
        why should one give reason like the format that is given below...

Quote Originally Posted by Jagat Kishore Sharma View Post
        I have drafted an RTI application. Wish to know if the same is satisfactor or needs correction.

RTI Application

To Date: 9/02/2011
        Home Secretary
        Ministry of Home Affairs - Govít of India
        North Block
        New Delhi. 110001
        Ph: 23092011 & 23092161
        Fax Nos: 20393750 & 23092398
        hshso@nic.in

From
        -------------

Sub: Application under the RTI Act, 2005

Sir,
        There are Land Mafias, Colonisers, Builders and Property Dealers who, in collusion with Govít Public Servants, cheat the innocent public of their lifelong earnings, grab Govít & Public Properties, evade Regulations and Taxes and cause loss of crores of rupees to the Exchequer.

It is suspected that there are groups of people in the area, and hence, in public interest an Application under the RTI Act, 2005 Seeking the following information, is submitted:

Land at Parwatiya Colony & Jawahar Colony (Under MCF) were of Farms, but all of which have been cut into plots and sold / resold to people on instalments or cash. Generally most plots have not been converted to new owners through Dakhila Kharij / Intekal.

1.) Please provide relevant Documents showing the Approval of above colonies.
        2.) What are the names, office address & Phones of Patwary of the above areas ?
        3.) Under which Tehasil lie the above areas, and in which villages ?
        4.) What are the rules to cut and transfer/sale plots of farm land by Jamidars/owners in these areas ?
        5.) How does the Government/State/Authorities ensure transfer of plots, so that the sales are not duplicated. (meaning, a Owner / Imposter does not sell the same plot more than once, and cheat the public.) ?
        6.) What is the procedure to recognize false property documents, and to whom to file complaints ?
        7.) Pl provide names (with documents) of the Jamidars/Owners of cultivating lands at Parwatiya Colony & Jawahar Colony (Land around Gurudwara Road & Saran School Rd.) since 1970.
        8.) Pl provide details of maps with Patwry, of Plots cut and sold/transferd to public, by the land holders/ Jamidars /Owners till present date.
        9.) Please provide Copis of sale deeds and Patwary documents on Khashra No 69/13 and all plots cut in its immediate south of the road (at least 10 plots). 10.) Kindly provide information (with supporting documents if any) regarding the investigation/actions taken to curbing land grabbing Mafias/Property Dealers and Builders. Jawahar Colony and Parwatiya Colony.
        10.) Kindly also supply relevant copies of Orders/Circulars issued by the Government/MCF or others, for curbing land grabbing by Mafias/Property Dealers and Builders (Ref various Supreme Court / High Court judgements)

I am enclosing the application fee of Rs.10 by Pay Order. If you feel that above requested information does not pertain to your department then please follow the provisions of Section 6(3) of the RTI Act, 2005. Also as per the provisions of the RTI Act, 2005 please provide the details (Name, Designation and address) of the first appellate authority with reference to your department along with the reply to the above request, where I may if required file my first appeal.

Yours truly,
        Jagat Kishore Sharma -
        Quote Originally Posted by nmayilsamy View Post
        why should RTI application contain the reasons.... this is pure misguiding the users of this forum...
        I am of the openion that, giving reason for RTI application may help to remove suspecion of its misuse, and obtain clear responce. Will the seniors kindly give suggestions on this issue - in favour or not in favour.
        karira -
        Sec 6(2) of the RTI Act:

6(2). An applicant making request for information shall not be required to give any reason for requesting the information or any other personal details except those that may be necessary for contacting him.

I am a "purist" as far as the RTI Act goes - therefore my suggestion is to stick to what is stated in the Act.
        Jagat Kishore Sharma -
        Quote Originally Posted by karira View Post
        Sec 6(2) of the RTI Act:

6(2). An applicant making request for information shall not be required to give any reason for requesting the information or any other personal details except those that may be necessary for contacting him.

I am a "purist" as far as the RTI Act goes - therefore my suggestion is to stick to what is stated in the Act.
        THANKS - Much appreciated
        piklu1982 -
        Its a good guide for the people willing to get some info throught RTI...

Thanks Swati for this simplified approach...
        jps50 -
        Question type queries should be avoided, as it may delay information. RTI is for seeking information and not answers.

May I suggest visit to following links:

Central Govt application:
        http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/blogs/...govt-info.html

Make effective:
        http://www.rtiindia.org/forum/blogs/...effective.html
        bhandaridilip -
        Quote Originally Posted by Jagat Kishore Sharma View Post
        I am of the openion that, giving reason for RTI application may help to remove suspecion of its misuse, and obtain clear responce. Will the seniors kindly give suggestions on this issue - in favour or not in favour.
        Sir,
        Is it necessary to give our RTI application by hand delivery to the PIO, or it can be sent by an ordinary post
        karira -
        Quote Originally Posted by bhandaridilip View Post
        Sir,
        Is it necessary to give our RTI application by hand delivery to the PIO, or it can be sent by an ordinary post
        Please read: http://www.rtiindia.org/guide/how-to...pplication-16/

Please also read some of the other articles in the Guide section - they will be of great help to you: http://www.rtiindia.org/guide/index.php
        RAVEENA_O -
        The definition of information, as it occurs in Section 2(f), lays down scope of the type of information an applicant can seek. The underlying idea is clearly that the Applicant’s entitlement for information is only in respect of the categories of information mentioned in Section 2(f) read with Sec.2(i) and (j). It is not open to an applicant to ask, in the guise of seeking information, queries to public authorities about the nature and quality of their actions. The RTI Act also does not cast on public authority any obligation to answer queries. Applicant’s right extends only to seek information as defined in Section 2 (f) & (j) either by pinpointing the file, document, paper, record or sample etc, or by mentioning the type of information as may be available with the specified public authority. RTI Act is also not a tool to settle Service Grievances.

If you want an information, please don't ask question to get an ANSWER from the PIO. Instead, identify and seek the document that contain the answer you expect.

Wrong :: What action is taken on my representation dated 27/10/2011?

Correct :: Kindly supply me the certified copy of Note Sheets containing noting by various officers and
        decision taken by competent authority on my representation dated 27/10/2011.

In this case, what you are interested action on your representation. The note sheet contain details of action, including mindset of the officers dealing with the case, as also the rules or instructions in your favour or against.
    • Featured Network

About RTI INDIA

RTI INDIA: Invoking Your Rights. We provide easy ways to request, analyze & share Government documents by use of Right to Information and by way of community support.

Follow us on

Twitter Facebook youtube Tumblr RTI Microblog RSS Feed Apple App Store Google Play for Android